• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CHILD SUPPORT

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:05 AM
  • 5 Replies

Where i'm from in virginia...I filed for cs and my sons father is 2,000 in arrears and has to pay me $400 a month to catch up his first payment is due today but im sure I wont get it. The courts dont keep up with it so if I want action to be taken I have to file a motions..I asked the court when should I file and they said it's up to me I can wait a few months, I can file tomarrow it's up to me. How far in arrears do the fathers have to be for the judge to ie. take there license lock them up etc etc? My sons father just got his license back and I would feel bad if I took him to court ..and they took his license he would really HATE me and never see his son again if that was to happen! im so confused..my mom wants me to file a motions..and I feel obligated to because she is the one helping me raise my son! HELP!

UPDATE: I went through the courts..do you think it's better to go through child support enforcement Im thinking about switching it over to child support enforcement with them you get a case worker..and they will handle everything verses with the courts I have to handle everything and take him to court keep up with the payments etc..what do you guys think is better?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
dimpz86
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I too live in VA.  Go to http://www.dss.state.va.us/family/dcse.html.  That's where I filed everything and that's where I receive all my child support payments.  I don't think that there's any amount of money in arrears that they can/will suspend licenses.  But they will suspend his license if he goes 3 months or more w/o paying the current monthly payment.  That website explains everything.  Good luck!

MIMIBRIE
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I think it has to accumulate to a certain amount before they would put him in jail, take his license,etc.. My dds father was behind more than that and its been a few years and it took till this year for them to take his tax refund.. They seem to move slow with this process..Also dont feel bad for anything you to that results in consequences to him.. He has an obligation to help you out with your son. If you need the money now I suggest going ahead and filing bc it does take a while to get the process started..Good luck

caaillustration
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Hi Javionsmamii! Time for tough love and some sage advice...

File the motions. Yesterday would have been better; today is great; tomorrow is putting off what should have been done in the first place.

As for his license; don't worry about it. He has put himself in this predicament, so don't you dare feel sorry for him. If he had been doing what he should have been doing all along, he wouldn't be going through this. Feeling sorry for him... girl, you need to be feeling sorry for your son and for your mother, who is helping to care for your son. As for his possible hatred towards you -- whatever! He needs to turn that hateful finger back on himself and think about the fact that if he was man enough to help in creating a child, then he should be man enough to help take care of his child. If he decides to stay away from his child and being an active parent to his child; that is his decision -- a sad one, but his decision. 

Your main concern needs to be your child -- not the man that helped in creating this child. That child needs to be in your every thought, action and deed. Remember, that child is looking to you, his mother. Now, be a good and strong mother, and do what's right by this child.

Good luck and take care of yourself!

luvmykaitygrace
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Don't file the motions. I'm in VA too. I did file a motion and at the same time I filed through DCSE. The judge won't really do anything but lecture and give him a second chance to pay up and get current. My ex was 20 months behind! She sentenced him to 6 months in jail and suspended if he would pay each month for 3 months and then $1000 lump sum. He managed to do it surprise, surprise. But I felt really bad too. Since DCSE took over it comes out of his pay check and things are a lot less hostile between us when it comes to child support. They can even intercept his tax returns. Just save your self the fighting and guilt and file though DCSE they take care of everything! If he doesn't pay or is getting paid under the table they will file motions to take him to court and they have a lawyer and everything so you don't have to worry about it. Also only a judge can lock him up or take his license. I'm surprised the judge didn't tell you, you should turn the case over to them.... Good luck. PM me if you have any other questions about DCSE in VA.

dimpz86
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 11:37 AM

DCSE does EVERYTHING for you once you're set up!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)