Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In need of some advice...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:56 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok ladies, I need some advice...bad! The guy I met last weekend through my friend and her boyfriend is coming over on Sat. night to watch a couple movies. We've been talking every night after the kids went to bed and things seem to be going well, so far. DD won't be here, but I'll still have DS obviously, but he's a baby.

With that being said, what the heck are good things to bring up and talk about?! I've been out of the dating loop for almost 2 years now! I know the basics of his kid and family, movie, music, etc. I don't want to sit here in silence all night lol

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
single_and_preg
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:02 PM

haha lol, I am one that doesnt know what to say in situations like that! So if the guy doesnt talk alot, yeah i'd be in silence lol.

My friend talks on & on all the time to people even strangers she meets off myspace, I dont know how she does it. I wish i had advice but i dont, since you guys already know the basics about each other... hmm i dont know lol.

AMsMommy212
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Hopefully the conversation will just flow naturally but to keep things moving along try to have a few questions in the back of your mind.. CONVERSATION starter questions though, like instead of "what kind of music do you like" ask "have you been to any concerts lately?" that SHOULD spark a conversation about past experiences at concerts if he's any kind of conversationalist-- or if he's never been then you could go into what he WOULD enjoy etc...

and that oges for any topic, not just music-- if music isnt that big a deal for you :-)

hope that helps-- good luck!

Kissybratzmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I know what he likes for music and movies, and we have similar interests like darts, fishing, and boats. I don't wanna press the family situation too much because his mom just passed away last week. I know his ex is pretty crazy, but he hasn't told me that himself. When we IM I'm usually the one asking things or keeping it going. Concerts is an interesting one though. Perhaps I'll bring that up. He keeps giving me a hard time saying he's bringing a scary movie, and he knows I'm terrified of them lol

kirstn007
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM

if you put to much pressure on the situation, there will be silence, lol. just let it flow. ive been single awhile and having been dating the whole time so i know that letting things happen is the best, dont put on so much pressure. and having silence isnt a bad thing. and also i think you should go out places with him i think interacting with ur surroundings will give u alot to talk about and connect. good luck

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:53 PM

1. be careful that he doesnt try to get it.. i am highly suspicious of the "lets chill and watch movies" move because most times they want a piece of ass. i will usually only do that after he has properly taken me on a few dates.

2. just talk about whatever you are interested in and stuff! be you, hes gonna have to know the real you anyways to see if he likes you.

3. relax and dont put too much on it. its just a "getting to know you" date. just have fun and dont be nervous! (as much as you can anyways)

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM

ps - if HE sits there not talking and stuff, then id think HE was a dud! dont blame yourself if you can fill up every awkward silence.

Kissybratzmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM

I'm not worried about that. He's kind of quiet and shy. Between the 2 of us we almost always have our kids. He watches his son 2nd shift when his ex works and Sat and Sun is the only days this week he doesn't have him, and I don't have DD Sat night, but still have DS.

Quoting faerie75:

1. be careful that he doesnt try to get it.. i am highly suspicious of the "lets chill and watch movies" move because most times they want a piece of ass. i will usually only do that after he has properly taken me on a few dates.

2. just talk about whatever you are interested in and stuff! be you, hes gonna have to know the real you anyways to see if he likes you.

3. relax and dont put too much on it. its just a "getting to know you" date. just have fun and dont be nervous! (as much as you can anyways)

Shy_Dia
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2010 at 9:12 PM

i dont think you ahve anything to worry about-- i mean, you guys already talk on the phone so you KNOW what to talk about.. and if nothing else- talk about the movies! and other movies that you guys wanna see, or have seen that the other person hasnt yet

calgalmeg
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Completely agree with all of this.  If you're really nervous why not write up a few things you'd like to know about him.  Hobbies, silly past stories, etc are great ice breakers and can help with the bonding.

Quoting faerie75:

Join us on The Single Moms Group  Group Mod

The public forum for Single Moms to get together for support.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)