• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sons DR said he is showing signs of ADHD..

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM
  • 37 Replies

He said he is too young to diagnose, but just from his behavior at the DR office for the hour we were there, he said he is showing signs of it.

Do any of your kids have ADHD? How did they act at 19 months old?

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambie1983
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I'm just curious at what those signs were? My son can never sit still or pay attention very well. But I don't know if that's normal or not either. Like I can't even read a book to him, he'll run off before I can even turn the page lol.

Nanasmom03
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM

My daughter (6) was diagnosed with it.  She's alright in school, terrible at home.   I tried her on a couple of medicines and she acted even worse. She was way too emotional and just kept screamn.  I took her off.  ADHD or not, I will deal with it without any medicines!!   I really think 19mos is way 2 young to tell though.  I'd get a second opinion.

single_and_preg
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Yes thats how it is for me too! I cant read to him either,

Well my son was very hyper there as usual, like climbing on everything, pulling all the DR drawers open, wouldnt let him check his ears, throat etc. It took 3 nurses to hold him still.

My son also has no interest in eating, it is a battle just to get him to eat a few bites of something, and he barely sleeps.

The DR said he should be able to sit and relax, (Which he has never done lol) The DR said he is too "Busy" and thats why he doesnt want to eat or sleep, and thats a sign of adhd...

Quoting ambie1983:

I'm just curious at what those signs were? My son can never sit still or pay attention very well. But I don't know if that's normal or not either. Like I can't even read a book to him, he'll run off before I can even turn the page lol.

single_and_preg
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Yes, i'd choose to do it without medicines too.

Yeah the DR said he is too young to diagnose, but wanted to take notes about it for the future. He is always shocked how he acts so rowdy in the DR office everytime lol/

Quoting Nanasmom03:

My daughter (6) was diagnosed with it.  She's alright in school, terrible at home.   I tried her on a couple of medicines and she acted even worse. She was way too emotional and just kept screamn.  I took her off.  ADHD or not, I will deal with it without any medicines!!   I really think 19mos is way 2 young to tell though.  I'd get a second opinion.

kcook55
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:04 PM

i wouldn't take the dx sorry but hes just a toddler and drs are way to fast to label kids and its not right. and my kids cant sit still either and there always getting into everything at the drs office they get mad at them cuz there loud and the drs office is way to small and not made for kids in mind.

native61
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Like a normal baby, shy, sweet, trying new things, exploring his world. He was a little slower learning things than his older brother (but I had less time to work with him also).

native61
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Quoting ambie1983:

Here is an experiment: don't let him run off, give him a big hug and say "reading" nothing more, set him in your lap then continue reading. If he fusses just keep reading but don't let him leave. If he submits he is probably just full of curiosity, hence the wandering off. If he reacts violently and refuses to be contained it could be a strong will or something else but until he can verbalise what is going on just love him and be the mom.

native61
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Quoting Nanasmom03:

As a single mom who chose not to medicate, I will suggest you check out www.painstresscenter.com

they have great products for brain function.

She may be feeling forced to mature faster than she can handle, the anxiety and stress can mimic or trigger ADD/ADHD behaviors. My son was already grown when I descovered them but they worked great for me so does Valerian Root but you would need to find a holistic doctor to know the proper dosage for a child. I did change his diet as best I could, MSG sensitivity as well as food allergies can also produce the same behaviors.

native61
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Quoting single_and_preg:

Yes thats how it is for me too! I cant read to him either,

Well my son was very hyper there as usual, like climbing on everything, pulling all the DR drawers open, wouldnt let him check his ears, throat etc. It took 3 nurses to hold him still.

My son also has no interest in eating, it is a battle just to get him to eat a few bites of something, and he barely sleeps.

The DR said he should be able to sit and relax, (Which he has never done lol) The DR said he is too "Busy" and thats why he doesnt want to eat or sleep, and thats a sign of adhd...

Quoting ambie1983:

It really is a classic symptom, but not neccessarily too busy.If you don't mind my asking, is he in daycare or do you have a private nanny?

single_and_preg
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Thanks i will check this out..

Quoting native61:

Quoting Nanasmom03:

As a single mom who chose not to medicate, I will suggest you check out www.painstresscenter.com

they have great products for brain function.

She may be feeling forced to mature faster than she can handle, the anxiety and stress can mimic or trigger ADD/ADHD behaviors. My son was already grown when I descovered them but they worked great for me so does Valerian Root but you would need to find a holistic doctor to know the proper dosage for a child. I did change his diet as best I could, MSG sensitivity as well as food allergies can also produce the same behaviors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)