• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

did you or anyone you know suffer from hypertension/preclampsia during pregnancy?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:15 PM
  • 18 Replies

My doctor jsut informed me today that I have regnancy induced hypertension and I am EXTREMELY worried now. He tried not to look worried but he was. He says now I am a high risk pregnancy. I never thought I would be one of those. It's really scary. What exactly do I have to do? Can you beat it? Do I have to give birth early? He just told me strict bedrest and to lay on my left side to take pressure off my major arteries. Any more advice? Thanks

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
single_and_preg
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:31 PM

How high is your blood pressure?

single_and_preg
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I had high BP while pregnant, they monitored me closely, I had to go on maternity leave early too, because the DR gave me a note putting me on bedrest.

It never turned into Pre Clampsia though.

I'm going to the DR next week to get my BP checked (Im not pregnant anymore), but i havent had it checked in almost 2 years, and im curious how it is now.

kcook55
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 6:53 PM

i was with my son and i had to stay in bed lets just say i didn't stay in bed and my dr was very upset with me i had to be induced for the health of me and my son and try to not get so stressed out it went away about 2 weeks after i had him

Skipsmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM

today it was 160/92...He said normal is 120/80? Soooo okay hypertension turns INTO preclampsia? And the preclampsia is the dangerous form of hypertension in pregnant women? I couldn't ask my doctor these questions because they never crossed my mind at the time because I was in shock

Quoting single_and_preg:

single_and_preg
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Mine was 145/90, my top number never got below 140.

When are they going to check you again?

In the mean-time, drink lots of water and fruits and veggies, I noticed thats what kept mine from increasing.

Quoting Skipsmom:

today it was 160/92...He said normal is 120/80? Soooo okay hypertension turns INTO preclampsia? And the preclampsia is the dangerous form of hypertension in pregnant women? I couldn't ask my doctor these questions because they never crossed my mind at the time because I was in shock

Quoting single_and_preg:

kcook55
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM

yes it can turn into preclampsia and its dangerous for you and baby but it dont always turn into preclampsia they tested me several times for it cuz mine was so high back came back neg everytime.

Quoting Skipsmom:

Quoting single_and_preg:

Carolynishappy
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Not sure if this will be much help but here the advice that I got woth my son. I had severe preclampsia with my son back in 2004. I was put in the hospital though. And no that doesnt mean you will have an early delivery. Follow the DR orders and you can prolong your pregnancy. How far along are you? Im not sure if the hypertension is the same as preclampsia though. The only way to beat it is delivery. Laying of your left side will help. That's what I did in the hospital. ZGood luck and keep us posted.

single_and_preg
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Oh also have they put you on a prescription to lower the high blood pressure?

I was on one, if not, they should give you one, that will help lower it .

Skipsmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Im getting checked next Friday. He did tell me that if I don't get it down I will be hospitalized for the remainder of my pregnancy. I am 29 weeks and he said that I have to make it to 34 weeks

Quoting Carolynishappy:

Not sure if this will be much help but here the advice that I got woth my son. I had severe preclampsia with my son back in 2004. I was put in the hospital though. And no that doesnt mean you will have an early delivery. Follow the DR orders and you can prolong your pregnancy. How far along are you? Im not sure if the hypertension is the same as preclampsia though. The only way to beat it is delivery. Laying of your left side will help. That's what I did in the hospital. ZGood luck and keep us posted.

Skipsmom
by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Doctor said he wants to try strict bedrest first and then when I go back in a week if its not down then he will try medicine next week....I will try the veggies and fruits. Thanks!

Quoting single_and_preg:

Oh also have they put you on a prescription to lower the high blood pressure?

I was on one, if not, they should give you one, that will help lower it .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)