Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allowances

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:18 PM
  • 3 Replies

How do you deal with allowances?  How much do you give your kids for their "regular" chores (if you do), and how much do you give them for irregular chores (if you do)?   The regular chores are emptying the dishwasher and loading it, setting the table, sweeping the kitchen after dinner, or taking out the garbage, just to name a few. 

What consistutes "irregular" chores and allowances for them?  I need to draw a line between the two, but I am not sure how.  Advice/suggestions welcome.  Thanks.

Susan

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
AMsMommy212
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:47 PM

For my parents, when I was growing up (and I'll probably use a similar system with mine when he's older) we got a weekly allowance for the daily chores, which included dishes, watering plants, making our beds, keeping up with our own laundry, and cleaning the floors and taking out the trash (there were two of us so we split everything).

Irregular chores were like helping with yard work, or washing cars and we didnt really get a set amount.. sometimes it was cash, sometimes it was going shopping-- whatever was wanted/needed, and fit the amount of work we put into it.

Chanel5nyc
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 12:53 PM

well, when i was younger, my mom only gave us allowance for irregular chores not regular chores. she felt it was our duty as child to help her around the house while she worked.

momofamonkey83
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I will admit, I was spoiled growing up, so I didn't have chores.  However, I don't want my son to end up a brat like I was when I was in my teens.  SO - right now, his chore is to clean his room before bed.  He has to do other things through the week, like being on blue (which is the best color) in school, do his homework without arguing with me, etc. in order for me to give him $5 at the end of the week.  When he is older, he will be doing things like loading/unloading the dishwasher, vaccuming, helping with laundry, etc.  At least, that's my plan :)

Love and Lip Gloss,

Laura

http://lauradavis.mymarkstore.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)