Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single mom starts to date need of help piog

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:14 PM
  • 1 Replies

My name is Hillary.  I am 25 and a single mom to my DS Weston who will be two this friday.  I have been single pretty much sense he was born.  I have recently started dating again.  I met an amazing guy... he is smart, motivated, educated, funny, and gorgeous... sounds too good to be true right...

He comes from a strict Lutheran family.  His parents spout the ideals of the traditional family.  Among many conversations I had asked him in passing how he felt about dating a girl with a child, to which he replied "not good, my parents always told me to start a family of my own, not one that was made for me..." 

He then went on to explain that his parents have a set frame of ideals and he has spent the last several years arguing some antiquated view that he grew up with. 

The conversation didn't go much further than this, but I am sure you can imagine my hesitation going forward.  There wasn't a set "no I wont date a girl with a child," but it was a clear "my parents will not approve of us being together..."

We talk often and cover a variety of topics, and I know he knows this is one I want to have again.  How do I approach the topic, what things do we talk about?  Are there any things off limits?

I have already told him that I think its best if he gets to know me, and if it works and he is interested then I will let him meet Weston.  I am very selective about who i bring into his life.  How long do you wait till you introduce your child to someone?

I am completely new at this so any advice would be appreciated.  

thank you

Hillary

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Skipsmom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Take it real slow and do not let him see your son or even get a good glance at him until YOU know it is serious. Not if he tells you it is serious. When you feel it in your soul that its serious then you introduce and only as "mommys friend". I planned a "date" with my now boyfriend and my son to see how they interacted together because if he can't interact well with my son then there is no way it will work for us. The key to this is just take it slow because you will be so anxious to get back in the dating game that you might move a little faster than you should. I did and it's not working out like I planned LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)