Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dating...does the man always pay?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM
  • 21 Replies

I may be behind the times, so I just wanted to know...are women picking up the tab these days?  When you are casually (or seriously) dating a guy, do you ever offer to pick up the tab?  Or offer to leave the tip?  Only on special occasions like his birthday?  After you've been dating for a while or only after you're in a relationship?

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Singlemomks
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I am a firm believer in being courted. However, I have picked up the tab if I was the one that invited the guy, or if I was bringing my kids along. It's hard for me to accept being paid for - mostly because it is always up to me to pay for things in my life.

ambie1983
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I personally think the woman should always pay for their part, unless the man offers to pay for the date. Never pay for the whole thing! Unless like you said, it's his birthday or something. It really depends on the type of guy too...if he is old fashion or not.

Tashia07
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I enjoy being courted as well, but I do often pay something on dates. If I go out it depends on the man and where we are.  So if we go to the amusement park, I pay for parking. If we go to a nice restaurant I leave the tip and tip the valet. Occasionally, I even treat the fellas if I invite them to certain functions like my alumni events.  Its funny, how it takes guys by suprise when you offer to just leave a tip.... it whens you brownie points!

AMsMommy212
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I think it depends on the dynamic of the "date". For instance if he asks me out.. I expect that he is paying. If we are hanging out together and say.. hey lets go bowling-- I would offer to pay for myself ( or pay for the food and drinks while he paid for the lane and shoes.)

LyndaLoo78
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM

My SO and I, while we do not live together are very much exclusive and also very much a team - sometimes he pays, sometimes I do.  Although he pays more often than I do, he gets mad at me when I swipe the check before he can get to it - because I have kids to care for and he doesn't.  However, we haven't been out on a date since New Year's  - I about to go CRAZY.  But he comes to my place all the time - and I feed him - so *shrugs* it works for us I guess - he's not complaining *lol*

MIMIBRIE
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I usually try to take turns but lately it seems as if I never make it past the second date :( I jumped into dating and I dont think I was ready.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Quoting Mia1983:

I may be behind the times, so I just wanted to know...are women picking up the tab these days?  i would if i did the asking but i never ask anyone out, and if he asks then he should pay.

When you are casually (or seriously) dating a guy, do you ever offer to pick up the tab? casually, he would pay because he would have asked. if i was in a relationship or steady dating, id probably do it hal the time. unless he made alot more money than me.

Or offer to leave the tip?  Only on special occasions like his birthday?  After you've been dating for a while or only after you're in a relationship?

tyfry7496
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Absolutely NOT. Either one can pay and both should take turns paying. It should be done this way from the beginning.

Mia1983
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Quoting faerie75:

Quoting Mia1983:

I may be behind the times, so I just wanted to know...are women picking up the tab these days?  i would if i did the asking but i never ask anyone out, and if he asks then he should pay.

When you are casually (or seriously) dating a guy, do you ever offer to pick up the tab? casually, he would pay because he would have asked. if i was in a relationship or steady dating, id probably do it hal the time. unless he made alot more money than me.

Or offer to leave the tip?  Only on special occasions like his birthday?  After you've been dating for a while or only after you're in a relationship?

Oh, yes, I was gonna ask that to you ladies, too.  Does it make a difference if one of you is broke or struggling and the other is making big money?

Melame68
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 8:30 PM

im ususally the one to pay....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)