Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else have trouble with this?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:18 AM
  • 9 Replies

I receive medical assistance from my county for my son. No food stamps or cash assistance, just medical.

So, I get a letter in the mail stating it is time for my recertification. My county does telephone interviews for this. The telephone number they have listed that they will call me at is incorrect. It says to call if there is a change or I am not available at that time. But there is no number to call. So I look it up and get ready to call. Simple right?

No. I have been calling for 3 days. No matter what option I choose, it rings twice and disconnects. So I call the customer complaint line and she gives me another number. Same thing. So I call the State office and she tells me to call another number because the change has to be made with the county office.

So I call that number. Finally, a person. After being placed on hold for 35 minutes, she comes back on the line and says that's not her job and gives me the first number I called. WTF?? Seriously? So, foolishly, I call it again. I select the option and it rings twice and disconnects.

I don't know who else to call. Everyone decides that that is not their job. All I need to do is change my phone number. I have been polite, but now I'm ready to get real shitastic. Yes, shitastic. My appointment isn't until June 23, but at the pace they move it will take that long just to change the damn number.

So, has anyone else had this problem? And please ladies, no bashing. Yes, I could just tell them to stick their medical up their asses, but my son has allergies that require medication. I get no child support and I work part time part time. Yes, I typed that right. I am below part time. I am a sub bus driver, so I work when they need me.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Solo_Fan
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:26 AM

No, I dont have that problem, but my  question....why are you not getting Child Support?

msdlm937
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Quoting Solo_Fan:

No, I dont have that problem, but my  question....why are you not getting Child Support?

When my es-husband and I got divorced, I told the judge that I wanted child support. He said that would require a DNA test since he was flat out denying that he was my son's father. I showed up 5 different times and his sperm donor was a no show. So I went back to child support to find out what to do next. After 5 months of driving back and forth an hour each way (I lived in another county) the judge told me that, since my ex was considered disabled and I was working, that I would not be entitled to child support.

I couldn't keep taking off of work to keep going there to fight it and it was costing me more in gas than I would have gotten in child support, so I quite fighting it. When I applied for medical, they asked for (and I gave it) his sperm donor's information. They did nothing with it. He hasn't seen him in 8 years and doesn't want to see him. I am currently in the process of having his parental rights stripped and obtaining full custody of my son. He has agreed to this, but that's just so they can't get him for child support later on.

Singlemomks
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Wow - I have had issues getting a hold of people before, but usually it's that I tell them and they don't change anything lol. I would call back the customer complaint line and be firm until someone helps you.

As for CS - that sucks! Since it is income based, and on both parents, it is probably likely that you wouldn't have got anything anyway. Still sucks though.

luvmykaitygrace
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM

My best friend has had issues like that. Is there anyway you can go to your family services county office and demand to talk to your case worker? That's how she ended up getting help she just went there and waited until she could talk to someone since they don't answer their phones.

msdlm937
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Quoting luvmykaitygrace:

My best friend has had issues like that. Is there anyway you can go to your family services county office and demand to talk to your case worker? That's how she ended up getting help she just went there and waited until she could talk to someone since they don't answer their phones.

Right now I don't have a car and we don't live near public transportation. My stepfather said that if I don't get in touch with them by this Thursday that he will drive me there. I hate going down there, especially on my birthday, but if that's what I have to do then ok.

I don't know why government agencies treat everyone like we are all out to screw the system. No all of us are like that. When I called the Ohio Dept. of Jobs and Family Service the lady was really shitastic until she saw that I wasn't gonna bite her head off. But the workers at the county level act like they are doing you a personal service by even talking to you.

And yes, my word for today is shitastic! Lol!

calgalmeg
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I agree go there or write a letter if you have time before they expect to call.

Quoting luvmykaitygrace:

Join us on The Single Moms Group  Group Mod

The public forum for Single Moms to get together for support.

kptmomof3
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:06 PM

can you not go down to your local DHS office and speak with someone there?

mcfaddenkids
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I am in California and so far, they have dropped other things, like cash aid and food stamps but always send me a notice stating it will not effect my Medical coverage. With all the cuts and changes in the system right now  it's hard to tell.

There are programs to get free medication from the companies that manufatcure the prescriptions. I have been able to get medicine that way a few times. They will send you at least 3 months worth at a time, at no cost. You're doctor has to process it.

tyfry7496
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Call and ask to speak to a supervior and tell them what happened and that there is something wrong with the number given out. If possible, go to the PA office and make the change and talk to someone about what happened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)