Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suggestions

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:24 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hey,

I'm just wondering if any other mamas have trouble/have had trouble sleeping over issues with their children's father's families?

I know I have to let this stuff go, but everytime something negative happens, I lose a lot of sleep over it 'cause I'm so sensitive, lmao...I know it's not something I should take lightly 'cause sleep is really crucial to my health...I really need good sleeping patterns to be in the best health for my son. I know, I know...

But I am kinda scared to go to a doc and tell them "Well, you see, my ex - " and yanno...I just...ehhhh, I guess I could tell the doctor I'm having trouble sleeping, but I am kinda scared to go on sleeping pills 'cause I have aunties and uncles who are addicted to those, and painkillers....so I'm kinda scared it's genetic???

I was wondering if there are other things that can help to alleviate the lack of sleep, and 'need'/'want' to be online to tire myself out.

I mean, this place is a good time killer, but I hate not being able to sleep until 4 a.m, and having to wake up when my son then, then pass right out when he goes for his nap....

I hate that my sleeping pattern is messed up. I have to kinda get myself into a habit...I've been taking my son for walks everyday instead of taking the bus, and trying to get my mind off all the negative stuff in my life, but I find myself just so damn tired 'cause my sleep pattern.

My mom and dad say I'm worrying for nothing...which is why I can't talk to them about what to do. They say "Annhhhh, it's that stupid computer. You're always on it, so what does it matter?" But the thing is, I was never online this much 'cause I had school on my mind, and hardly had time to come online, so I really miss being in school... I also wish they understood how I REALLY feel about all this stuff with BD'S family and all the stuff I have to worry about with waiting for him to respond to his petition...my parents are awesome at supporting me, but they don't care to console me or anything 'cause they hate my BD and his family soooo much. (Can you blame them? LOL)

September isn't that far away, but it's just so sad that I have nothing to do until the end of August. :(

So yeah... any suggestions can help! I've tried warm milk, sleeping without music, baths before bed...tried even cutting out caffeine 5 hours prior to bedtime.... nothin'.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Iamme21
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:08 AM

I used to have trouble sleeping and sometimes still do I have pill that help me get to sleep without making me groogy but I have only used them a couple of times. I have a 4yr. old and don't want something happening in the middle of the night and not wake up. Nothing ever happens but who knows. I had a therapist teach me a couple things to help me sleep that work. One is when I go to bed I don't watch Tv or anything just quiet and sometimes my mind still goes on and on but I try to think of pleasant relaxing things and seems to help I also go to sleep about the same time every night.I also don't look at the clock and if I get up in the middle of the night I go to the bathroom and go right back to bed. All of this has helped me. I know it can be hard to sleep when my kids father gets on my nerves or something stupid yet again I just tell myself he is never going to change and just move on as if he isn't there. Hope you get your much needed rest soon.

zmama22
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:44 AM

i have sleep issues too. after i put my DD to bed, i would race around the house cleaning, etc. then i would catch a second wind and be up all night. i changed my routine and it seems to working. now, i put my DD to bed at 8:30, take a nice long bath til about 9:30. when i get out i'm drowsy. i then get in the bed watch tv until my eyes droop, then i turn everything off immediately and go to sleep. i've been falling asleep around 11 so far. in the past when i would get drowsy, i'd think of something else i had to do and get up and do it, then i would get energized. also no day-time napping at all.

i don't take sleeping pills either because i have "addictive" genes.

jeepingirrl
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I go through spurts where I do not sleep until about 4 am. Then my sleeping habits will go back to normal for a little while. it is the weirdest thing. Have you tried Melatonin? You can buy it at any drug store and is natural so ther are no worries for addiction. i have used it and it certainly did help me.

momof4kids257
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:36 AM

I use a boring movie and the tv timer... its a rut I refuse to break as I actually get sleep w/it. I put a movie in I've seen so much  its boring and set the sleep time on the television. It's hard to just turn it all off when you want to sleep and thinking on it makes it so much worse..I' tried reading to get tired at bedtime-but when you read the same paragraph on the same page for a 1/ 2 hour you know it isn't going to work . Maybe it would work for you? Try and find some kind of hobby during the day to keep your mind occupied on other matter and you'll find yourself relaxing more as you don't think constantly about all the problems. I draw,paint,crochet,sew...just a few of my hobbies to keep me busy. Good luck and Hope you find what works for you soon. good

.Tiggeroo87.
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I did! I did when I was pregnant. I wouldn't be able to sleep until 6, even 7 am! Then I would sleep until 4 or 5 pm in the afternoon. I didn't know I was already 2 months along by the time I found out WHY I couldn't sleep! I wonder if that would have the same effect on me now that I'm not pregnant?

Quoting jeepingirrl:

I go through spurts where I do not sleep until about 4 am. Then my sleeping habits will go back to normal for a little while. it is the weirdest thing. Have you tried Melatonin? You can buy it at any drug store and is natural so ther are no worries for addiction. i have used it and it certainly did help me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)