• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unnecessary Objects In Your Home

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:01 AM
  • 9 Replies

As single moms, *some* of us should find ways to spend less in order to conserve our money, since most of us recieve little to no help at all from the fathers of our children.

So, just for fun, list some unnecessary objects, products or appliances in your home. Things that you normally wouldn't buy if you couldn't afford it, and then maybe we can talk about how we prioritize each thing in our own defense.

This is not to brag about anything, or cause drama, it's just for fun, and maybe to learn how we can reduce our spending to only necessary things. If this doesn't apply to you, you can just give us tips on how to substitute something for another thing. :)

I'll go first:

I have a microwave. I didn't buy it, my parents bought it for me when I moved in here, but had I bought it, I wouldn't have had to 'cause I have an oven and a stove.

I have a pack of 4 bars of soap, and I somehow ended up buying liquid soap, LOL. I didn't think of it at the time. I still have 3 unopened boxes of soap in my bathroom cupboard! I also ended up buying my son that Huggies foaming handsoap. I just saw it, and I got it because it was on sale for $2.99 at Safeway. I think normally it's $4. My son could just use my handsoap, but I found myself using that handsoap because it just smells SO good! LOL!!!

I have 2 1 L One Step hand sanitizers, but they were free from my reservation with our H1N1 kits. Everyone family on the reserve got one, and anyone who lived in the city got one as well. They were free. I don't really use it. I'm thinking of giving my extra bottle to my neighbor. She had two teenagers, so I think she could use it.4

I have two strollers in my storage closet. I don't really need them both, but I kinda do. I use the big bike stroller for long days out and about, but lately, I haven't been using it 'cause it has two flat tires and needs to be re-adjusted. It wobbles and it's annoying to lug around for small trips to the store, lol. The smaller one is just a cheap $30 one from Toys R Us. I use it almost everyday, but I like the bike stroller for long days, like I mentioned because my son can actually sleep in it. All I have to do it pull the tab in the back.

I have a highchair that my son doesn't use anymore at all. I want to keep it because I want to have another baby when I'm done school and find someone to be with. I might just put it in storage back home in the country. It's taking up space in my apartment.

I have two different kind of shampoos/conditioner sets laying around. One is 24 Hour Body tresemme? And the other is Joico Moisture Recovery. I use Tresemme everyday. The salon brand shampoo/conditioner was on sale when I got my hair done in January for $12 for a 1L bottle of each. My son also has three kinds of shampoos laying around. I have Aveeno baby shampoo, some Loreal kids one in Mango, and I think the other is Head to Toe. I've only been using the Loreal one. I just forget I have shampoo for him at home and just buy one if I can't remember. Now, I have to make a list of what he already has before I go out.

I have tons and tons of bandaids. I don't know how even half of the boxes got in this place! LOL. I know I bought some last week for Daunte. They were on sale at Shoppers Drug Mart for like $2.99 for something that is normally $4 and mine were like $1.79 for a box that is normally like $5 so I really felt I should get some. I guess they're not really unnecessary, but I have 8 boxes. I shit you not. LOL. It's summer, but my son hardly gets into accidents. But I figured it'd be nice to carry some in a small ziploc bag in my purse. You never know if someone else might need one. I carry about 4 or 5 with me. I also carry Polysporin and a small little container of Tylenol. This sounds weird, but I wear flip flops and found ONE use for the stupid things: I put a bandaid in between my big toe and my second toe so that little separator on the sandal doesn't make that area raw when I'm walking. I think they sell toe separators at the drug store so flip flops don't make that area raw, but I never think of it when I'm there, lol. I might consider it though since it's summer, and it's annoying to wear socks and sneakers with capris in humid weather.

You'd think with all these things I have, I'd be borderline hoarder, but I just forget I have things sometimes. I could probably name more things, but it's almost 5 am. I should get some sleep. I'll be back to check on this, lol. I'm sure someone's gonna laugh at my creepy bandaid fetish.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
greeneyedskippy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:31 AM

LoL funny post. I go to the 99 cent store and spend $50 bucks on stuff lol. I have I swear on any given day 25 bottles of shampoo,bodywashes,toothbrushes,chapstick,tissues in every room,100's of hair tootoos & clippes, I don't freaking know why?... I have to do this!

Iamme21
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:25 AM

I guess for me it would be cable/internet I pay about 160 a month but it give my kids something to do cause I don't have much money left. They don't always watch TV and stuff I take them out to the parks and things but at least they have something.

.Tiggeroo87.
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:26 PM

HEY! That`s what I forgot!!! You know those Puffs packs from Walmart??? I have like 6 packs of those laying around in one of my spare cupboards! But I actually use them. I take one in my purse everyday 'cause I have a sickening nose that I have to blow when it's too hot or too windy, lol.

I have a crapload of body wash too! And I used to buy a toothbrush every time I went to walmart, and then I had to give some away 'cause I forgot I had two spare ones already in my cupboard, lol!

Quoting greeneyedskippy:

LoL funny post. I go to the 99 cent store and spend $50 bucks on stuff lol. I have I swear on any given day 25 bottles of shampoo,bodywashes,toothbrushes,chapstick,tissues in every room,100's of hair tootoos & clippes, I don't freaking know why?... I have to do this!

.Tiggeroo87.
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Yah same. For me, it'd be the same. I could totally live without cable and internet, but I don't pay for it 'cause it's in my rent.

I have a stereo, but I got that as a christmas gift years before I had my son.

I used to have a landline, but I cancelled it 'cause I have a cell which I cannot afford to just cancel 'cause it's on a plan, and my landline was no-contract.

Quoting Iamme21:

I guess for me it would be cable/internet I pay about 160 a month but it give my kids something to do cause I don't have much money left. They don't always watch TV and stuff I take them out to the parks and things but at least they have something.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:32 PM

i couldnt even tel you i am the clutter queen. anything i have though, i bought it or it was given to me. in fact i have a dvd player, stereo, and extra microwave in my living room a friend gave me because she was amoving and didnt want them. im thinking of selling them on craigslist.

.Tiggeroo87.
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I'm thinking about forfeiting my stereo. It's about......what is it...6 years old? The power button doesn't work though, so I would have to give it to Value Village or something. I just listen to music on my computer anyway. The only thing my stereo's good for is the radio and plugging a cord from my laptop into the back of it. Sometimes I use the huge speakers instead of my laptop speakers. I have a subwoofer and two speaker set from Wal Mart last year. I didn't need that either, lol.

I also have two cameras which were both gifts. But I use the small Fujifilm one. It's pink. My other one is a Nikon D40X which is obsolete now. I really want a Canon Rebel though!

Almost everything expensive in this place has been a gift or given to me though.

Quoting faerie75:

i couldnt even tel you i am the clutter queen. anything i have though, i bought it or it was given to me. in fact i have a dvd player, stereo, and extra microwave in my living room a friend gave me because she was amoving and didnt want them. im thinking of selling them on craigslist.

luvmykaitygrace
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I have 4 strollers. I'm going to sell my jeep jogging stroller. I have a gym membership. I have several high chairs/booster seats( she refuses to sit in them.) Clothes is my thing. I swear dd gets a new dress or out fit every time I go to target or walmart.

I try to recycle all dd's stuff at consignment sales.

Let's see, I just bought a camera in November and a new lab top in Feb.

I feel really guilty b/c I just bought like 10 pair of new panties at target. My old ones are all stained and I'm trying to wean them out. And I just bough 2 new bras from target to.

I buy a lot of bottled water. I have cable and Internet which I wouldn't have normally but around here all the apartments and communities are going to this community wide part of the fees you are required to pay thing. So I can't even get rid of it if i wanted to.

Really I'm pretty spoiled right now b/c I live with my family.

Kissybratzmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Oh lord, I'd be here posting all day! lol I have stockpiles of stuff like body wash, hairspray, lotion, perfume, air freshners, etc. I am a HUGE coupon-er so I get a lot of it dirt cheap or free.

I guess for "luxury items" we have 3 TV's, one of which is an HD, LCD TV. I got that at tax time a couple years ago though. I also have a HD DVD player, but the ex left that behind because he didn't have the nerves to come and get his stuff after he walked out on us. I have a (older) desk top PC and a lap top. I got  the desk top with school money and the laptop was my birthday present last year from my mom. Other then that I have a microwave, but I see that a necessity in this household lol It was also a gift from  my mom when I moved  out on my own.

Shanin22
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:05 PM

You should look into Netflix... it's saving me like $60 a month. If you have a gaming system (Wii, Xbox, or Playstation) or buy their little box for $100 you can get all the on-demand movies and shows you can handle for only $10 a month! You have to have internet to do it (which only costs me like $30 a month on it's own) but it was totally worth it for me. It has tons of kid movies and show... and the best part? Without the cable just running constant cartoons all day, I cut my sons TV watching in half. Now TV is just on when we all curl up to watch a movie or I put on a cartoon show while I'm cooking dinner or something.

Quoting Iamme21:

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)