Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it just me?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:52 AM
  • 35 Replies

I was at 7-11 yesterday with my kids and my mom. I went in, got some slurpees and went back out to the car where my mom and kids were. As I was getting in the car a girl pulled up with I would say a 3 year old in the back strapped in his car seat. She proceeded to go in to 7-11 and left the kid in the car.....with it running. I was FLOORED.

I did not say anything to her, because I do really try to mind my business. What do you guys think about this...do any of you leave your young kids in the car to run into the store....is this acceptable?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chanel5nyc
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM

No its not acceptable. I don't have a car but if I did have one I wouldn't leave my kids alone in the car with it running. She is putting her child in harms way. What if someone try to steal her car? What if someone kidnaps her child? There are very sick people out there who likes little children.

AMsMommy212
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:12 AM

nope, not a chance. I leave him in to check the mail, but I dont have to go through any doors or anything & he's occasionally in the car in the garage for a second if I have to grab something-- but other than those situations, no.

Momof2MixdBoyz
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I have a few times.... but only if I know I'm the only person running in... and it was for cigs and I could see the car from the counter.... but since I don't smoke anymore.... the boys are always going in the store with me....

jennaloo42
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM

In some situations it's ok I think... not to run into a store or go anywhere that you can't see him anymore, but like I'll leave him in the car if I have to run back in the house and grab my keys or my gym bag.  But I know he's strapped in, ventilated, and safe, and I can hear him if he starts crying or anything.  I have a friend who will go to rummage sales and leave all three of her kids (ranging from a baby to 5  years old) in the car while she shops.  That, to me, is not ok, b/c for that long of a time something can happen and she'd never know, especially with 3 kids in one car.

sunshineforall
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:27 AM

The only time I left my kids sit in the car is when I have to run in the house.  I leave all windows down, and also open the doors on the curb side. Mine are 3 and 6 and my 6 y/o can get my 3 y/o out.  I am usually only out of sight for 30 sec. 

I do not leave the car running knowing how my kids are and 2 they are on my keyring with the housekey so it would be impossible.

I think once your kids get old enough you can for a store but not when they are little. 

zmama22
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:38 AM

it's not acceptable, and especially leaving the keys in the car - somebody can come and drive off with your child.

Kissybratzmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I won't even leave DS in the car so I can pay for gas. If I have anywhere I need to run into for a quick second I make sure DD is with me. She is almost 11, but I still rarely do it. I always make sure the car is off and the doors are locked, even if it's only 30 seconds. She unlocks my door when I get back. But like I said, I rarely do it. I sometimes pull up to the front door of the library and she runs the items in while I watch her and at the gas station she'll ask me if she can run in and pay it for me. If she was younger then 10, I wouldn't let her.

ProudSingleMum
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I do not. And I do find it to be unacceptable.

Tashia07
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:51 AM

I only leave my son in the car by himself when I run to our mail box about 12 feet away from the car.  I can see him and he can see me... people are crazy these days and I can't chance him being kidnapped or something!

complextrina
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Quoting zmama22:

it's not acceptable, and especially leaving the keys in the car - somebody can come and drive off with your child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)