Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler caught me off guard

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:28 AM
  • 3 Replies

My little girl has been asking me about where her daddy is. The first time caught me off guard. She was watching noggin and a dad was reading to his child and she looked at me and said, "Where is daddy?"

I've been dating a guy for over a year now and she calls him her Joe Daddy. I am not sure if she really understands that her real father is gone or if it was just a random question. After she asked I looked at her and said "You have a daddy, Joe, and he loves us both" She seemed satisfied with this answer. When I told Joe he just said "Well, I'm her dad. I've been around for over a year." Did I answer her question ok or do you think I just may have confused her more? She's only 2 years and 3 months.

- Samantha (RaysMama08)girl giving flower

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jeepingirrl
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Well.....where is her dad? I do not think it is really a wise idea to lead her to believe your boyfriend is her dad...if he is not. But it really all depends on the situation.....

Bashful984
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:03 AM

My theory on kids questions... if they don't keep asking more then they are satisfied. I think for her age that was a perfect answer. If he says he is her daddy then there is nothing wrong with that. When she is older she will obviously want to know about her birth father but at 2 you do what is best for them not always the complete truth.

Tashia07
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I personally wouldn't let my son call any man I was just dating daddy, unless he was committed to raising him with me 100%. My son is two and he knows I'm Mama.... He doesn't know that there should be a father there too.... it isn't concept that he grasps just yet. 

If you know that she calls the boyfriend Daddy, why would that question catch you off guard? I would assume she was referring to him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)