Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to see my sister today

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have a sort of strained relationship with my sister. She is my Dad's Daughter from his first marriage, so she lived with her mom and we (my brother and I) only saw her on the weekends she came to Dad's and we were there.. she is almost 7 years older than me so we were never very close growing up.

She makes awful life decisions, has lived with me a couple times etc but as adults we have gotten along WAAAY better, I love her and my nieces and nephews very much.

Well last year she ended up pregnant, we thought she had her tubes tied with her 3rd baby but  she lied. I gave her a bunch of Aiden's things to use for the new baby. Unfortunately Ian (her son) was born on NYE at only 25 weeks and died in the NICU 19 days after he was born. 

She asked to keep Aiden's things for a while, said it would hurt too much to let them go, so I let her keep them. I'm going today (almost 6 months later) to pick them up and see her. I saw her once, a week or so after Ian died, but I haven't seen her since. 

I feel bad for thinking negatively, because I know she went through something horrible, but I'm sooo sure that the stuff is going to be ruined.. I'm not looking forward to going over there because it's going to piss me off, even thought I know it shouldn't. I know for sure, best case-- it'll 'just' reek of cigarette smoke, something Aiden's asthma is very sensitive to.

Any ideas on how to get the smoke and smell out. I have other friends that would love to have this stuff, but I'm not going to give it to them if it reeks!

ETA: the items are, a bouncy seat, a pack in play, and a travel system (stroller and infant carrier)

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calgalmeg
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Wash them a million times over- first load with white vinegar- after that a few washes with just water and baking soda, then detergent.  I use either Ecos or Seventh Generation (we have allergy issues) but I'm sure that after that any kind would work.  Just keep washing and eventually it comes out.  It helps to get it in with a really dirty or sweaty load of clothes - if you wash all the stinky clothes together it seems to take longer to clean them.

luvmykaitygrace
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Don't they have new detergents with febreze?....

Here it is! Honestly, when I smoked or went to a really smokey bar after I just washed my clothes normal the smell would be gone.

AMsMommy212
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Quoting calgalmeg:

Wash them a million times over- first load with white vinegar- after that a few washes with just water and baking soda, then detergent.  I use either Ecos or Seventh Generation (we have allergy issues) but I'm sure that after that any kind would work.  Just keep washing and eventually it comes out.  It helps to get it in with a really dirty or sweaty load of clothes - if you wash all the stinky clothes together it seems to take longer to clean them.

*gag* vinegar! haha I've started doing a lot of cleaning with it but man I hate that stuff. THanks for the tips! I think the bouncer cover comes off.. but the rest of it cant really be put in a washing machine :(

It's a bouncer, travel system, and pack n play

jeepingirrl
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I *used* to be a smoker.....(quit nearly 4 weeks ago) and I would just wash my clothes once with regular detergent and they never smelled of smoke. When my kids go with their dad and they go see their grandma she is a HEAVY smoker and the kids always come back smelling like they smoked a whole pack. I wash their clothes just like normal and they come out fine.....

AMsMommy212
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:33 PM

I was just thinking about you the other day! Im glad you're sticking with it!!

Quoting jeepingirrl:

I *used* to be a smoker.....(quit nearly 4 weeks ago) and I would just wash my clothes once with regular detergent and they never smelled of smoke. When my kids go with their dad and they go see their grandma she is a HEAVY smoker and the kids always come back smelling like they smoked a whole pack. I wash their clothes just like normal and they come out fine.....

jeepingirrl
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Thanks! Tuesday will be 1 month free of smoke....I feel so much better and am saving money....double bonus!!!

Quoting AMsMommy212:

I was just thinking about you the other day! Im glad you're sticking with it!!

Quoting jeepingirrl:

Kissybratzmom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:08 PM

For the pack and play and things you can't wash I would buy a spray bottle and mix about 1/2-3/4 of a bottle with water and fill the rest with your fav liquid fabric softener and squirt away! It's way better then febreeze or sir freshner. I use in on my curtains, furniture, etc just to spruce things up.

luvmykaitygrace
by on Jun. 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM

How'd it go?

AMsMommy212
by on Jun. 5, 2010 at 4:20 PM
actually they arent that smokey, but the stroller smells like cat piss :( my ex found someone thats wants to buy it all, so im trying to get it cleaned up :-/

Quoting luvmykaitygrace:

How'd it go?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmykaitygrace
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 12:06 AM

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I'd take smoke over cat piss AAAANYDAY! That's the worst. Why do all people that don't like to keep things clean in this world have cats? EW YUCK! My best friends' mom is a hoarderand she has a cat. I can't stand going to that house it REEKS reeks of cat nastiness!

Quoting AMsMommy212:

actually they arent that smokey, but the stroller smells like cat piss :( my ex found someone thats wants to buy it all, so im trying to get it cleaned up :-/

Quoting luvmykaitygrace:

How'd it go?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)