Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suing my ex for "Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress"

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

So, I'm seriously considering suing my ex for the debt I accrued from going to counseling because of his infidelity (mulitple times, with women and MEN).  My attorney says I have a case since the only reason I attended counseling was because of his actions, and it has clearly affected my mental health.  My insurance ended up not covering it, so the bill is almost $1000.  Would you sue?

EDIT

For the record, yes, I am a bitter ex!  LOL  He cheated on me with women and men, gave me an STD (easily treated, for the record), and got another woman pregnant.  Then he left me and my son when I was still in the hospital recovering from my emergency C-section.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
colins_mom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:53 PM
Are you a bitter ex? Then yes.

If you are just doing it because your lawyer told you to then no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LMcKnight22
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:20 AM

I dunno--it's up to you, but I wouldn't go that route.  I would rather take my losses and move forward.  'Cause court takes FOREVER and all that time will just be spent a) letting the bitterness grow and b) not allowing you to move forward.

Again, it's for sure your choice but I would just find a way to go to therapy and accept he made poor choices and that you have to move forward without him.  Good luck!!

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:25 AM

you will spend 4times more than you will ever see outta him.  but go for it.   

i'm sure we all have cases that would stand up in court, i got one that did stand up in court.  but just cause they are ordered to pay doesn't mean they will.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:07 AM

your lawyer told you that because he wants you to retain him for more money.

its not gonna happen.

ambie1983
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 2:13 AM
I personally wouldn't sue. To me doing that would just bring up that pain over and over again til the case is done with. Which could take a very long time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandie66
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:41 AM

It's up to you. As far as legal fees are concerned, if you win, your ex will pay your medical bills and your attorneys fees, if your attorney askes for them anyway.

jeepingirrl
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:46 AM

I really do not think you should. Like everyone else stated it will take a very long time. Cut your losses and move forward.

calgalmeg
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I would let him know what you are thinking and explain you will let it go if he pays the bill for the therapy and or any medical costs related to the STD- you'll end up with more money that way and less trauma in the long run (the court system is not a fun place).

Mia1983
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 7:51 PM

I'm all for fucking over sleazy exes, but winning this seems like a long shot.

sandie66
by on Jun. 15, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Good luck. I am so ready to do something too! I am sick and tired of my ex canceling his weekends and then making plans for our daughter on my weekends. I am sick and tired of having anxiety and panic attacks. And I am just sick and tired of him and his dirty hog!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)