• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drunks!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:06 PM
  • 5 Replies

Are some of the most pathetic people ever!

My aunt and uncle who love my kids veryyy much are here this weekend. They adore both of my kids, and they do a lot for me. We went to a festival today and they paid for everything! However, my aunt is an alcoholic, when they stay here we find beer cans under the bed, and in the cabinets in the bathroom and she randomly disappears often.

Last night I mentioned I was taking the kids to the pool today. We all agreed on 3:00 being a great timef or us to go. After the festival today, at 11 AM they went to the bar. At 3, still no word from them. I text them to see if they were going....they said theyd call after the soccer game they were watching was over. Then 30 minutes later they call to say they are going to go get tattoos. So needless to say I had to make up to my daughter, who very much adores my aunt. She loves her soo much and sad to say she looks up to her to because mhy daughter has no idea. But me.. Im so pissed, and Im sooo tired of making up for the promises they break to her. So they havent been here alll day. Im getting ready to get the kids for bed (Im baby sitting my best friends daughter until the morning, so I have 2 toddlers and my DD who is 6) And my aunt gets here and comes in and asks my DD to go outside. UGHH.... Sooo of course I feel like I need to say yes or else my DD will be upset with me because she hasnt seen her all day because she chose to go get trashed and get tattoos..and they leave tomorrow.

If I had it my way theyd no longer be coming up on the weekends, but this is my gparents hous e so I have no choice..

How would you handle a situation like this?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Shy_Dia
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:10 PM

that sucks! maybe next time you can tell your DD to ask them why they werent able to go to the pool/spend time with her..? =( not sure what they'd say, but at least you arent covering for them, and they'd get at least a small glimpse into what you have to deal with everytime they bail on her.

jessarendt22
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I dont know that a hard situation , When I was younger my favorite aunt was an alcoholic and of course at the time I didnt know but I remember how heartbroken Id be when she would break promises to me . As a parent Id protect my child , I know your aunt is family but your childs well being comes first naturally , is there anyway you can sort of talk to you DD about it maybe just get her to understand her aunt isnt very reliable ?

Mommyof2n0308
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Well I just went to talk to them, and they bought a bunch of pool toys, that we already have, as bribary. Ugh alcoholics make me sick, and they piss me off even more when they manipulate MY DAUGHTER. After this, I dont know what Im going to do, but I have to figure something out to where this no longer goes on!!

Mommyof2n0308
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM
My dd knows somewhat of whats going on. She knows she drinks beer but i definetly need to sit her down and put it out on the table. She is only 6 but very mature for 6 so maybe its something shell remember and not want to do when shes an adult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:34 PM

I would NOT mention any plans to my child so there is no chance of disappointment. There is not much you can do about the drinking, it's not your house and you can't stop your aunt. You can ask her to refrain while she is there because your daughter looks up to her.  Do NOT have your child ask her why she didn't spend time with her, that is just going to hurt your daughter more. Alcoholics have a disease that is extremely difficult to stop and get under control. It sometimes gets to a point where the alcoholism takes control of their lives. I hope she gets the help she needs to stop so she can be the role model your daughter thinks she is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)