Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do court ordered supervised visits work?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:45 PM
  • 5 Replies

My X should not be alone with a child. He left a bruise on my son's butt through a diaper and jeans, when my son was 16 months old. His girlfriend also threatened to kidnap my son. I have this stuff in writing. I have been supervising visits between my son and his father for the past few month, but damnit, I am tired of spending my day off of work, supervising a visit, AND spending my day off of work, doing nothing because he canceled and I hadn't made other plans..

So on Monday, I am headed down to file for custody. I have full physical and legal custody as far as the law ASSUMES. but it's the only way that court ordered visits will ever take place, since he will not file.

I doubt he will show up to court, but if he does, I am requesting court ordered supervised visits, for obvious reason's. Who pays for these? How much do they cost? How do they work.. any input would be great

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
tyfry7496
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:26 PM

It depends on the judge. The visits can be supervised by a friend or relative that you trust and chose or it can be done by a number of social services type agencies.  In the city I live in, there are no less than 3 agencies that I know of that do supervised visits. One is actually a domestic violence shelter. I am sure the judge can tell you more how it would work out. As for cost, if it is a family or friend there wouldn't be one but if it is an agency..I think you would pay for them, but I am not certain.

Tashia07
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:50 AM

In most cases if there is a cost it is split evenly between the parties, unless one's income is significantly larger than the others. I filed for custody not to long ago, and it didn't turn out as I expected, and wish I had simply left that door closed. Neither one of us had  concrete evidence why the other parent shouldn't have a part in our son's life. Our court order states that I have to take my son that has only seen his father and step mother once and leave him in there care for two weeks every 4 months. I would consult a lawyer before filing anything.

cara124
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:11 AM

first i am really sorry he did that to your child thats just wrong......second supervised first arent eazy unless you have a friend or family member willing to give up there day it getts harder.....my children are doing supervised visits order by the court with there dad right now and because my family/friends want nothing to do with the ex we are having to us a cps service.....and because i have an order of protection and he cant know where i live i have to take the kids one town over from me........ok so this is how its being done for me i pull in the parking lot cps lady comes out and gets kids......(they only there 2hours) when they done cps lady brings them back to the car .....this all take about 3hours of my time 2days a week......so its not all its crack up to be....sorry hope works better for you .....

starchild321
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:31 AM

I am sorry you and your son had to go through that. I know that when my youngest dd visits were set up through the court system initially, they were supervised by his mother or my aunt. They screwed that up from there end. When the court case ended and I got full custody, it was set up that he would have to write a letter requesting for visitation to be sent to my aunt's address. He wasn't allowed to know where I was located for safty reasons. This letter was to be sent 72 hours in advance and the visits were set for every other Friday at the Long Beach Police Department downtown. It was a an hour or two I think. If he didn't show up, then he forfiets the visit. He never took the visits at all. My dd was just about your son's age. She's 14 now. I didn't move from CA until she was about 5, he never took them. I would see if you can find a neutral person that will actually follow the court order and have them take your son to see his father in neutral like a park or police department. Maybe you can have them set up, that if misses it then he forfiets that visit and the one after to get the point across. That's how the Children's Court Judge did it in my case. He was known for not showing up to CPS after scheduling the visit. Good luck.

LovinKayla
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:39 PM

In my case it worked out to my benefit. I agreed that his wife or mom could supervise the visits. And if neither of them were available then he would have to call and set up through an agency that he needed to have the money to pay the agency for the visit. Well he wouldn't pay an agency for a visit so when his mom or wife weren't available he would just forfeit his visit. It's been 2 years since he's seen her. And since his divorce and his mom moving away, then me moving 4 hours away. I have volunteered to supervise his visits with his daughter. And he choses not to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)