Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support....how do I do this?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok, so in the past few weeks I have come out of a 10year relationship with the father of my two kids. He works on the railroad so he's gone from home for 6-8 weeks at a time. My question is, if I file for CS is there court hearings or whatever? I just don't know b/c with his job, I doubt he could make it if we do have to come together in a setting to hash it out. I'm about to be 27 so he was my only boyfriend so I am clueless to any of this.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown Click for more info!

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sandie66
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Most states have mediation. This is where both of you and your lawyers (if you choose to have one) get together and decide on CS, visitation, etc. If you can't come to an agreement you will have to go to court and a judge will decide. I am sure they can work around your husband's schedule. And if he has a lawyer, the lawyer will make sure it is around his schedule.

AllNaturalMum
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM

In WI child support is not discussed in mediation. Mediation is only for child placement and custody.

Child support (at least for us) went straight into a child support hearing and was decided there. They go off of a general percentage and figure it out based on how much he makes.

Carsons_mommy09
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:14 PM
My sons dad & I agreed on everything out of court & we just filed paperwork to make it legal.. We never had to go to a hearing or deal with child support services..

I'm not sure where you live, I'm in California.. I have a lot of friends who have filed for child support & cs contacts dad & it's dealt with that way, they never had any kinda hearing (unless it was in regards to visitation & custody) & they never had to be there at the same time..

Hope that helps a little :))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
--Nicole--
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I live in Ohio if that helps

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown Click for more info!

coffee.crisp
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM

In WA and OR there is no hearing.  The state decides the amount that is owed based on the parents' incomes, then takes the money directly out of his paycheck and deposits it into your bank.  It's nice because there is no emotion involved, no fighting, no decisions, nothing.

boeks
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I live in Ohio. For the child support we just pretty much had to go in and give our financial info. From what I have seen they are willing to work around schedules if possible.

anngie
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:58 PM

First, do what you have to take care of you and your kids! File the paperwork and let the system handle the rest. The father of your children will have to learn to take care of himself and that means working things out with his employer (if needbe) in order to appear in court if and when he needs to so he can address the matters at hand. Don't overthink your decision, just get the paper work filed and the process will guide you. Good luck!

Quoting --Nicole--:

Ok, so in the past few weeks I have come out of a 10year relationship with the father of my two kids. He works on the railroad so he's gone from home for 6-8 weeks at a time. My question is, if I file for CS is there court hearings or whatever? I just don't know b/c with his job, I doubt he could make it if we do have to come together in a setting to hash it out. I'm about to be 27 so he was my only boyfriend so I am clueless to any of this.

dancerchica5416
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Unless the father works for a Native American tribe or is a registered Native with a WA/OR tribe, then it goes to Tribal Court and some tribes don't have an agreement with the state to allow them to garnish wages so it gets a little more complicated.

Quoting coffee.crisp:

In WA and OR there is no hearing.  The state decides the amount that is owed based on the parents' incomes, then takes the money directly out of his paycheck and deposits it into your bank.  It's nice because there is no emotion involved, no fighting, no decisions, nothing.

mom4tye
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Good Morning

I saw your post and well I haven't participated much on group replies but I have an answer for you. Go in to the local Office in your town and fill out application requesting Child Support. It starts all the legal proceedings.

My advise to you after me dealing with Child Support Enforcement is get a Real Lawyer who specializes on Child Support. The States Child Support Offices are not at all in your best interest. My son's father still owes me $30,000 and my child is 15 years old. So you kinda get what you pay for. I was young and naive at the time and thought that legal office would work for us.

You can go through your phone book yellow pages and hire an attorney and get better results.

REASON Being.  He works for the RAILROAD  he won't walk away from that job. You will be assured your checks come regularly.  Try not to involve the State in your personal matters it gets nowhere for my family.  

If the father loves his kids he will adjust to the payments by the courts.

Your question of will he have to appear in court? Yes by law he will be summoned to court and expected to appear. He will get plenty of notice for court appearance.  Sometimes when they fail to appear then you can automatically get what you have asked for by the Judge because the father would be in default. Meaning no appearance.

Hope this helped some.

Good Luck with you and the children. It all works out in the end.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)