Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for moms in NC (PIOG)

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2007 at 1:59 PM
  • 7 Replies
Does anyone know anything about public assistance in NC?
by on Oct. 13, 2007 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tinkerbellava
by on Oct. 13, 2007 at 10:39 PM
I live in N.C.   I might know somethin' what are you needing info on?

~Adrienne & Ava

miinma77
by on Oct. 13, 2007 at 10:43 PM
I'm considering moving down to NC this summer and I will be literally going with no job and no place to live, so I'm wondering how NC is when it comes to government assistance such as housing, welfare and even temporary homeless shelters.  I just need a new start and I've done a lot of research and NC seems to be the best place.  Even the minimum wage down there is only $1.25 less than it is up here in MA, but the cost of living is like 1million times higher.
CrystalnSC
by on Oct. 13, 2007 at 11:04 PM
I am right outside of Charlotte in Rock Hill, SC so its only like a 15 minute drive and the taxes are even lower here.  It seems like everyone works in NC but lives in SC - just a thought.

Crystal

www.cafemom.com/group/elvis

miinma77
by on Oct. 13, 2007 at 11:09 PM

Quoting CrystalnSC:

I am right outside of Charlotte in Rock Hill, SC so its only like a 15 minute drive and the taxes are even lower here.  It seems like everyone works in NC but lives in SC - just a thought.

Crystal

www.cafemom.com/group/elvis

I will look into that thank you.
tinkerbellava
by on Oct. 15, 2007 at 10:05 PM
Unfortunately N.C. has a waiting list for public housing!!!  I'm not sure how long though....my friend got into a house pretty quick though.....I do know that the day-care vouchers are unbelievable!!!   for work there is a 6 month wait....but you have to be already working for you to qualify to even get on the list!!!  and for school the wait is 2 years!!!!!  As far as medicaid and all it's pretty reasonable I guess.....there is almost no wait....just long enough for them to verify income....about 2 weeks if that....however in my case my daughter gets medicaid but I don't since I wont comply with the child support agency!!! (kinda screwed up to me.......I don't want to give him ANY reason to think he can be in her life!!)   not sure if I answered your question or not but if you got anything else you need to know ask me....I might be able to find out for ya!!!

~Adrienne & Ava

miinma77
by on Oct. 15, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately N.C. has a waiting list for public housing!!!  I'm not sure how long though....my friend got into a house pretty quick though.....I do know that the day-care vouchers are unbelievable!!!   for work there is a 6 month wait....but you have to be already working for you to qualify to even get on the list!!!  and for school the wait is 2 years!!!!!  As far as medicaid and all it's pretty reasonable I guess.....there is almost no wait....just long enough for them to verify income....about 2 weeks if that....however in my case my daughter gets medicaid but I don't since I wont comply with the child support agency!!! (kinda screwed up to me.......I don't want to give him ANY reason to think he can be in her life!!)   not sure if I answered your question or not but if you got anything else you need to know ask me....I might be able to find out for ya!!!

That was all very helpful.  I have the application for housing already, I just need to get copies of the birth certificates.  I am planning to come down there in April during the kids vacation to check things out and look for a job and apartment, if I have to live in a shelter till I get either an apartment, job or housing then so be it.  I've been there and done that before I just need to get the hell out of here.  I don't need daycare, my kids are 12 and 14.
tinkerbellava
by on Oct. 16, 2007 at 11:25 PM
Glad I could help ya!!!

~Adrienne & Ava

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)