Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Guy with or without kids?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:40 PM
  • 13 Replies

Do you prefer dating a guy with a kid(s), no kid(s) or it doesn't matter?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chanel5nyc
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I prefer dating a guy with no kids. The guys I meet that have kids usually have "baby mama drama" or go back with her to make "their family work". My kids fathers are not in their lives so I don't have that problem. The only way I would date a guy with a kid or kids, if he was a single dad. Meaning that his kid lived with him.

SassyPainter
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Hopefully without.  When I was married to my son's father, there was just so much constant drama, it was miserable, but I know most situations are not like that.  I just had a bad experience and it may affect how I choose a mate.  On the other hand, there may not be too many childless men around.

SassyPainter
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Quoting Chanel5nyc:

I prefer dating a guy with no kids. The guys I meet that have kids usually have "baby mama drama" or go back with her to make "their family work". My kids fathers are not in their lives so I don't have that problem. The only way I would date a guy with a kid or kids, if he was a single dad. Meaning that his kid lived with him.

I agree!

luvmykaitygrace
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:46 PM

NO KIDS! If at all possible. I'm not trying to be the Brady bunch and it's too much drama and I haven't really met one that really takes care of them either and that's a huge red flag for me.
I'm not a fan so I try to avoid it but I do take it on a case by case bases depending on all his other qualities!

jeepingirrl
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Prior to my ex I would never get near a guy that had kids. It always just seemed like to much interference from the ex. When I met my ex I went agaisnt the rule. And now here I am, lol

Anyways now that I have kids I find that dating guys that do not have kids do not understand my lack of free time. Guys that do have kids and are involved in their life understand that my kids come first...no matter what. That we may have plans but if I have to call and cancel a half hour before because my sitter cant make it....then that is what it is.

I never date anyone that is less than 6 months to a year out of a relationship though.......

AMsMommy212
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:49 PM

It really can go either way. I like that child-less guys have more flexibility with there time since I don't, but they never seem to understand that I dont go to bars every weekend, I cant just go out for a night of pool on Wednesday... When you come to my house you WILL hear whining and crying, and I will NOT be paying that much attention to you. haha Single Dad's seem to understand how that goes a little better... but they tend to have just as many "scheduling" issues as I do.

I think Im done with dating for now-- f' it. Ill just flirt relentlessly with my unattainable guy because I'll never have to commit or anything. haha WORKS FOR ME!

MegaMamaTX
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I avoid men who have kids that do not live with them because, to me, it tells me that he has some issues. Those may be with the baby mama or his alone, but either way I dont want them.

I would date a single dad (with kids living with him) though because that tells me he has his head on straight and isnt unstable.

luvmykaitygrace
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:52 PM

I did the exact same thing! haha

Quoting jeepingirrl:

Prior to my ex I would never get near a guy that had kids. It always just seemed like to much interference from the ex. When I met my ex I went agaisnt the rule. And now here I am, lol

Anyways now that I have kids I find that dating guys that do not have kids do not understand my lack of free time. Guys that do have kids and are involved in their life understand that my kids come first...no matter what. That we may have plans but if I have to call and cancel a half hour before because my sitter cant make it....then that is what it is.

I never date anyone that is less than 6 months to a year out of a relationship though.......

Chanel5nyc
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:52 PM

That's the only problem I have with guys no kids. Sometimes they can be unsensitive to certain situations like if my child is sick, etc.

Quoting jeepingirrl:

Solo_Fan
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:54 PM

it is hard to say for me.  I have dated single guys ... no kids.....and they dont understand that you cannot make last minute plans.  I am dating a guy that has kids and ex wife...........that is tough too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)