Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obesity in America

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:27 AM
  • 14 Replies

After reading Steph's post on the whole toilet thing and the last line that said about Americans being fatter than ever......it got me thinking about obesity. Why do you think more Americans are obese now than in years past? Is it fast food.....lack of home cooking.....video games (kids).....what's your thoughts?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamasaurusPrime
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Not just in America. There's a bunch of lazy fatasses up here in Canada too. In fact, a lot of them are university students......I think it's because when you get to college and stuff, you no longer have to take gym as a requirement to graduate.

Then, it's because a lot of the youth think it's easier to eat something quick from a fast food joint....and a lot of the apartments are placed around Wendy's, A&W, McDonald's....like....that's the first thing I noticed when I moved here last year - I live across from a Wendy's and a Starbuck's....then there's a Tim Horton's and a 7-11 down the road. Up the road, there's a McDonald's and A&W. All places are within walking distance......it's strange.

jeepingirrl
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I think a lot of it has to do with gym programs being cut, parents being busy with work and not having time to really cook homemade meals, not having time to go for walks or to the park to play with their kids. I think stress of everyday living contributes also.

I have taken notice the last couple of days how much time I really spend on the computer when I am home....and it is disturbing. Granted there have been heat advisories the last two days but there are plenty of indoor places I could be taking my kids and we could be more active rather than sitting in the house. I complain about my weight (my kids are string beans) yet I do nothing about it. I always used to be skinny but I always worked at staying that way. I think after having kids I got lazy and used the kids as an excuse for my weight. They are 2 and 4 now....that excuse is getting old. So for me I would say it is laziness. Pure laziness on why I am overweight.

MamasaurusPrime
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Well I think that's great you can admit why you think you're not active enough. I was stubborn for a long time, but being where I'm from made me lazy and depressed. I lived in bumfuk NOWHERE. To get to the store is a 10 min drive, to gas up is another 5 minute drive, there's only one park in the town by my rez, and just....the feeling being there was depressing. Now that I'm living in the city, there's tons of places to go, and I walk to most of them because everything is walking distance.

I'm not obese really. I'm just chubby. Some people would say I'm fat, but really it's my stomach and my arms could probably use some toning. I eat healthy and I try walk everywhere this summer, lol.

Quoting jeepingirrl:

I think a lot of it has to do with gym programs being cut, parents being busy with work and not having time to really cook homemade meals, not having time to go for walks or to the park to play with their kids. I think stress of everyday living contributes also.

I have taken notice the last couple of days how much time I really spend on the computer when I am home....and it is disturbing. Granted there have been heat advisories the last two days but there are plenty of indoor places I could be taking my kids and we could be more active rather than sitting in the house. I complain about my weight (my kids are string beans) yet I do nothing about it. I always used to be skinny but I always worked at staying that way. I think after having kids I got lazy and used the kids as an excuse for my weight. They are 2 and 4 now....that excuse is getting old. So for me I would say it is laziness. Pure laziness on why I am overweight.

mily_21
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I think it's a little bit of everything. Having fast foods at every corner doesn't help. Less home cooked meals (or healthier meals). Kids only playing video games or always indoors. Gym memberships are pricey too. Kids go off to college and only eat fast food or whatever is at hand. Some parents give toddlers whatever they want or just feed them unhealthy foods. lack of motivation. Or maybe we're just lazy. I know my home town the majority of people walk or ride bikes to grocery stores or a friends house or the nearest shopping center. I can easily walk to the nearest shopping center by my house(30 minute walk) or the park (10 minute walk) but i go in a car instead.

tyfry7496
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I think part of the problem is schools taking out recess and limiting gym class to a few days a week or 1 semester a year. My son  has never had gym everyday, all year. In elementary school it was 2 or 3 days a week, in middle school 4 days a week for 2 quarters of the year. In high school 3 days a week for 1 semester.  I really don't think it's fast food...although portions have gotten larger.  Parents not spending time outside playing with their kids. As a kid, I used to be outside playing with my cousins, mom and aunts and uncles. We played kickball, kick the can, hide and seek, tag. We ran around for hours and hours.

madleine
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:59 AM

i agree it's the gym time being cut, fast food places everywhere and families don't also spend the time they used to.  we have the "we want everything right now" mentality and it shows in our waist lines.
also, did you notice that junk food was cheaper to buy than healthy foods? a box of swiss rolls costs 1 dollar at the dollar tree where a bag of peaches cost 1.48 a pound. to people, especially some that are poor, it is cheaper to buy the box of swiss rolls than a bag of peaches. 

jeepingirrl
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Quoting tyfry7496:

I think part of the problem is schools taking out recess and limiting gym class to a few days a week or 1 semester a year. My son  has never had gym everyday, all year. In elementary school it was 2 or 3 days a week, in middle school 4 days a week for 2 quarters of the year. In high school 3 days a week for 1 semester.  I really don't think it's fast food...although portions have gotten larger.  Parents not spending time outside playing with their kids. As a kid, I used to be outside playing with my cousins, mom and aunts and uncles. We played kickball, kick the can, hide and seek, tag. We ran around for hours and hours.

I did also. I am not kidding with you when I tell you that my brother and I would get up, eat breakfast and head out the door with out friends. There were like 10 of us on the one block. Our moms would bring us lunch outside to eat and then we would play until we had to go in for dinner and get ready for bed. We were never in the house...always outside.

.kk.
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:03 AM

All of the above.

The food that we eat plays a large part in it, but it's also that we are a nation of couch potatoes. We sit down and watch tv or play on the computer instead of going for a walk after dinner.

I know that's the way I was raised. Spending time together meant going out to eat or watching TV.

lette_with_2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:09 AM

im goin to say video games and electronics, not only for the kids but for everyone. my roomate being one, he is 500+ lbs and get disability for being obese! he was never told by his drs that he cant work, he is just limited to desk work cuz of his knees, but he still getss 1000 a month for being fat and it makes me sick. i know there are some ppl out there that are obese due to health problems but damn it to the ones that dont have a reason get off your ass and do something with your life! i cant stand it. ppl need to start taking care of themselves better

Singlemomks
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I think it is because our kids don't play outside much - it's not safe to do that in most places. That and most jobs are not strenuous. Back in the day, most were farmers, and if not, you had to walk to places you wanted to go. The more technologically advanced we become, the lazier we can be, ya know?

It doesn't help that gym classes are being cut and that fast food is so easy to come by. We are so conditioned on using cars, etc. that we just don't think we can do physical activity anywhere other than a gym, and let's face it, once you put on extra pounds, they are extremely difficult to get rid of!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)