Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Divorce Help-PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:08 AM
  • 4 Replies

I have NO IDEA what I'm doing.

Okay so my husband (who I'd really like to make my EX husband) is deploying to Afghanistan with his contracting job in October...will our divorce be on hold until he gets back or can we go through the process with him there?

Secondly HOW do I go about filing and what not. He was supposed to file for us (never did) and we were supposed to be in agreement on everything, but we're not anymore. So what's my first step in all of that and how much does it roughly cost? Is there anyway I can get aide for it? I'm terrified by the lawyer fees. I can barely afford to feed my kids right now. Thanks in advanced.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
BananaNut
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:27 AM

While my (ex)husband was in Iraq, I tried to get the divorce.  I filed before he left but, I wasn't able to finalize it until he was stateside.  We fought and from what my atty told me you can only do it while they're deployed if you both agree.  We got one shot and neither of us liked what the other offered. Since your husband is a civilian it may be different.  IDK.  My divorce cost less than 3000 but, my atty is personal friends with my sister.  I know there are way to get aide but, I don't know how.  Hopefully some of the other girls will have a better answer!

Mia1983
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:33 PM

You should contact a local legal aid office.  I was able to get free advice over the phone.  You may be able to ge tthe same.  No offense to the CMers, but it's best to go for sound legal advice, because most  every situation is different.  Good luck.

calgalmeg
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Legal aid or your local facilitators office (most court houses have a facilitator- they don't give legal advice but they will tell you what forms to file) can help.

lextjmom0709
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:38 PM

i am going through legal aid right now to do my divorce and i cant wait for it to be over and as are as feeding your kids you cant go and apply for food stamps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)