Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pre-K Open House.....this is kinda bothering me

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:45 PM
  • 7 Replies

So I went to my son's Pre-K open house this evening. It seems like a really nice place. Me, my son and his dad went. We got to see the room he would be in...meet his teacher and the staff. We then attended a orientation. The orientation was being held in a seperate room. We were asked to leave the kids in their classrooms so there would be less interruptions in the orientations. I asked his teacher again before leaving the room if we were supposed to take him with us or leave him there. She again said to leave him in there to play with the kids. I just wanted to be clear that there would be staff in there watching the kids.

So my ex and I leave the room...go down a short hall...through the middle area where there are like chairs and the front office and the doors to exit the building and into the room on the other side for the orientation.

I'm sitting there listening to the director and I see my son running around the middle area saying "Mom...mama!" I get up immediately and go to him. By the time I get to him I see that he had entered his classroom again and was exiting it again as I was walking up. One of the staff members walked out and asked him where he was going. She saw me standing there and asked "Is he yours?" I said "yes.....but I am a little curious as to what he is doing running around the halls...." She really did not say anything...she was a teachers aide.

This concerns me a little....I mean she did notice him the SECOND time he came out of the room but obviously not the first. I am trying to not make a big deal of it because I understand it was hectic there with 20 families and kids running all around...but I specifically asked if the kids were going to be watched....and if my kid is running around in the hall then it seems to me he was not being watched all that well.

What do you guys think of this? I'm new to the whole pre-k thing...but this kinda seems like a big deal to me.......

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tyfry7496
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:51 PM

The orientation should have been done with the kids present. I have done many preschool open houses and we NEVER left the kids in a separate room, that we couldn't see them every second. I would question why no one was watching the children.

jeepingirrl
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Quoting tyfry7496:

The orientation should have been done with the kids present. I have done many preschool open houses and we NEVER left the kids in a separate room, that we couldn't see them every second. I would question why no one was watching the children.

That is the thing.....his teacher was in the room and a aide......that is why it is bothering me that he walked out the first time with no one noticing.......

animebuddy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I agree with the previous post.  I went to a pre k orientation for my daughter and no one asked me to leave my daughter out of the orientation.  It really worries me that o one was watching your child.  What does that say about how they will be when school begins?

genhat456
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM

It's possible that the kid to teacher ratio was more than it should have been at the orientation. Probably class size is smaller when in a formal session. That being said, I would still be worried.

jeepingirrl
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Quoting genhat456:

It's possible that the kid to teacher ratio was more than it should have been at the orientation. Probably class size is smaller when in a formal session. That being said, I would still be worried.

This is what I am hoping.......because I do really like this place aside form that. But it is kinda a hard thing to overlook. It is a private pre-k which I went to specifically because I have heard great things about it and that the class sizes are smaller and other stuff......but none of that matters if my kid can walk in and out of the room......into an area where there is a door leading out of the building and no one is aware he did it.

I am HOPING it is because it was busy and crazy there tonight. It was a open house for the pre-K and daycare so there were a lot of kids and parents running around......but I do still think I may have a one on one talk with the teacher about this concern.

genhat456
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:35 AM

I would definitely talk to her. It will make you feel better and more than likely it was a fluke thing. I hope she can put your mind at ease.

MamasaurusPrime
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:35 AM

It never hurts to ask about things that concern you. That's one thing I've learned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)