Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New tool for bullies??? (PIOG)

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:51 AM
  • 6 Replies

I came across this in another group. I think it is truly sad.

Well, since it won't let me link it, basically bullies are using food allergies as a way to further torment and bully kids. The story talked about a boy, who was allergic to peanuts, having a granola bar waved in his face and having an allergic reaction to it.

~~~It would not let me add the link here, so I copied/pasted the article from the other group into the first comment.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
RoadTripChick
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:56 AM

When food allergies make kids a target

(CNN) -- It's tough enough having to avoid products with peanuts and other ingredients as a kid with severe food allergies. It's tougher when someone at school waves a granola bar in your face at the peanut-free lunch table.

That's what happened last week to a Pennsylvania fifth-grader whose mother asked that he not be identified. The boy had experienced allergic reactions to merely touching peanuts or breathing peanut particles in the past, so the act of granola-waving was more serious than for other allergy sufferers.

"He said [he was] scared, and 'sad that he would do that to me,' and 'mad that he would do that to me,' and worried that it's going to happen again," the boy's mother said.

As the prevalence of food allergies grows in America, doctors are becoming more conscious of a disturbing trend in children getting picked on for not being able to eat certain foods.

According to a new study published in the Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, about 35 percent of children over age 5 with food allergies have experienced bullying, teasing or harassment. The study, which mostly surveys the parents of these children, said those negative social experiences, which included physical and verbal incidents, happened because of food allergies.

"The school has to really address it. It's not the child's job to take care of this problem, because there's already an imbalance of power," said study author Dr. Scott Sicherer, pediatric allergist at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York.

Gina Clowes, director of allergymoms.com and a coach for parents on food allergies, hears stories about food-allergic kids targeted by others in school all the time.

"They'll make fun of what they're eating," she said. "I don't know if it's innocent or malicious, but some kids will literally threaten them with the peanut, or 'I'm going to throw peanuts at you.' "

While bullying with regard to food allergies isn't all that different from bullying about other attributes, children with food allergies have an additional burden because they have the responsibility of taking care of themselves medically already, Clowes and Sicherer stressed.

"Here you have a child who already has to deal with not eating the same things as the other children; they already have to worry about is this meal safe for them; about having an allergic reaction," Sicherer said. "This is an additional problem of someone making it even harder on them."

The warning signs are similar to other forms of bullying, Clowes said: A child may appear sad, upset, withdrawn, anxious or say that he or she doesn't want to go to school. But parents should also look for changes in their kids' eating habits: They may come home with an untouched lunchbox, for example.

"I've had parents say kids go the entire day without eating because they're being made fun of for special foods," Clowes said.

The latest data from the Centers from Disease Control and Prevention show that about 3.9 percent of children younger than 18 in the United States have food allergies, representing an 18 percent increase from 1997 to 2007.

Rest of the Article here ......  http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/09/28/food.allergy.bullying/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

LancesMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:50 PM

That is really scary! Why do kids act like this??

tyfry7496
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:53 PM

That is just wrong.  I guess those bullies won't think they are so funny when a kid dies and they are charged with murder.

tyfry7496
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Kids act this way because their parents let them act this way and the schools can't do anything for fear of being sued for disciplining the little heathens. If I or my friends would have done something like this in school we would have had our asses handed to us and been expelled from school. Hell, the school threatening to call my parents was all it took to keep me in line.

Quoting LancesMom:

Join Us                                                                                        Group Mod 

RoadTripChick
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Quoting tyfry7496:

Kids act this way because their parents let them act this way and the schools can't do anything for fear of being sued for disciplining the little heathens. If I or my friends would have done something like this in school we would have had our asses handed to us and been expelled from school. Hell, the school threatening to call my parents was all it took to keep me in line.

Quoting LancesMom:

I have to agree. It's a shame that there are parents now that teach their children to behave this way. My parents would have been waiting for me at the bus stop to whoop my ass.

kcook55
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM

kids can be so mean but i can believe they would do it. my dd has milk and wheat allergies and I'm afraid when she gets school aged someone would do this very thing to her.she has to eat/drink for her to have a reaction but so many things have milk and a kid could trick her into eating it. or a teacher or other school staff could give her something and not realize it has milk in it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)