Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is there ever a middle ground for parenting?!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm a single mom- DS's bio-dad isnt involved at all.

The other day, DS was getting his cereal, and my mom said that i put too much responsibility on him... He's been getting cereal since he was 3, and at 4 (5 in Oct), he knows how to do it without spilling... 75% of the reason that she's truly mad is b/c her DD (who turned 5 in Aug), still cannot pour anything without spilling it.... she said that "at 5, its understandable.. but not now"-- for getting his own breakfast-- something that he's been doing for over a year now.

So I asked my dad- what he thought, too much responsibility on DS? He says that I'm too strict. I expect my son to listen, and if he doesnt, he gets in trouble... About a week ago, DS was playing around with the fridge open (a pet peeve)- trying to figure out what to drink. we only had milk or water, but he was lingering... I took him away from it, he started throwing a fit, DEMANDING water. I refused to give it to him-- I think thats where my dad's getting his "too strict" thing... I gave DS water, after he calmed down, and politely asked, "May I have some water, please?" (for the record- my dad still choses out my 12 year old bro's clothes, gets his food when he's home, gets everything prepared for when bro takes a shower... Bro will be 13 in October, as well)

I get "bashed" for my parenting by my mom at least 4 times a week... and at least once a week by my dad... i can deal with it, since i HAVE to live here.. but is there really a middle ground? between responsibility, being strict and being a "good" mom?

21 year old single mom of a 4 year old boy. Not sure exactly what kind of mom I am, but I get a chance to better myself everyday. My biggest goal for 2010 is to break out of my shell.

~~~ I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Singlemomks
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:03 PM

You will never make every one happy with your choices. Sounds to me like you are raising a responsible child and there is nothing wrong with that at all!

tyfry7496
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I think you are doing great. You will have a respectful and independent child and there is nothing wrong with that. BTW, I still get my 14 yr olds things ready for a shower, that way I know he is clean and not just standing under the water fooling around.  For important things, I pick out his clothes too..I want to make sure he matches. But otherwise, my son was getting his own cereal at 4 too. As single parents, our kids tend to grow up a little faster out of necessity. Keep up what you are doing, your son will be great.

LancesMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:34 PM

You are doing great! I wouldn't worry what others think! Talk to your parents and let them know how their "bashing" makes you feel!

Nikobaby2010
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:37 PM

It is your child, not theirs and if you want to raise a responsible self-sufficient one, you are well on your way!!

kimbob2284
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I dont think you are being too strict or expecting too much of your son. I think your parents should back off honestly, just because they parent a certain way doenst me its the golden rule for parenting.  Its good to teach them to be independent.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM
From what I know of your moms parenting, I'd still just do it your way. Just listen to keep peace then do you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaWolf1981
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I think you are doing a great job! My son is very independent as well. I have been a single parent since before he was a year old. He is 7 now. He has taken so much on himself (only guy in the house). I don't think your too strict at all. .. Keep doing what you do =)

kcook55
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM

just let them talk. let it go in one ear and out the other. my mom does it and i just say yea and don't really listen to her. she says i hate my son and only love my daughter. whatever!! just cuz i don't baby him like she does hes not a baby he is 5 yrs old. i really dont "  baby"   my almost 3 yr old daughter either unless shes hurt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)