Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have a boy..

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:37 PM
  • 16 Replies

At what age did you start potty training and what age was your son fully potty trained?

Did you use any tricks to help him understand and get it?

When did you know your son was ready to start potty training?

If you haven't started when do you plan to start? 

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kdpearl
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:45 PM

My son started a week after his 3rd birthday! He was pee trained in a week and took 10 months to get him to poop in toilet, he used pull ups when he pooped. So it took about a damn year to long.  I used no tricks, just 100 % every 20 minutes we sat and read books and talked and played games. Tanner had no choice I told him this was the way it was going to be. I got rid of diapers during the day from day one, used pull ups at night then to nothing.  After his first success at pooping in toilet we got all pull ups and took them to the garbage can outside, and watched the garbage man take them way. We said our good byes and that was that.

Good Luck !!!

lissa27504

I started both of my boys at 2.  My first son picked it up REALLY quick...used pullups for 3 days and he was FULLY TRAINED (even night time).        My youngest....now that's a different story, took him several months of pull ups to get him day trained, then several more for night---started at 2 and fully trained by 3.   Every child is different...I have friends with boys that say the same thing, sometimes they pick it up quick and sometimes they don't.

Neither of my boys used a "potty"  they both wanted to go straight to the regular toilet, so I just bought a little step stool for them to use---they also would NOT sit on the potty.  I know boys usually start by sitting but mine didn't.  My oldest would watch his Dad and his babysitter's son (who was a year old and started training about a month before him).   My youngest didn't watch anyone, he just didn't want to sit to pee.

I know both of my boys would tell me they had a wet diaper the minute they would finish going pee, but I don't remember if there were other signs.

lovebeingmrs
i started aj at the age of three. But he wasnt ready. Aj has autsim so to help him i took him to wal-mart and told him to pick big boy underwear. I let him look at all he wanted. Then picked two cartoons out and had him pick. I explained its ok to have an accdent. I had to let him feel what wet felt like. After that he hated feeling wet. Aj is 4 and just got the day time down. We are now working on nights.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:50 PM
i started between 18 months and 2. he was fully potty trained- like sleeping through the night and everything by 2.5 around 18 months i just let him sit on the potty and get used it. we didn't really start potty training until 2. i just let him pick out underwear and told him that if he went to the potty in his underwear i would have to throw them away and he would have to be a baby forever. i never bought pull ups or anything like that. i also made him sit backwards on the potty until he learned to hold down his penis- that way he didn't pee all over everything.
jeepingirrl
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:51 PM

My son started at around 2 going to the bathroom on his own. But with a new baby that did not last long. We tried again right after he turned 3. He would do real good and then go back to having a bunch of accidents. He was finally fully potty trained at night and everything right before he turned 4 I think. It was a long hard road! LOL

aj23
by Amanda on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I started right after my sons 2nd birthday and he's 3 1/2 and still won't poop in the potty. I took him to the store and let him pick out his own potty and underwear and I've tried candy and toy bribes. I even tried the cheerios in the toliet and nothing worked.   I ended up just taking him to the potty ever so often then he finally got the hang of the peeing part. He would tell me when he had to go and even take off his pants after he went in them so I know he was ready. With the pooping, when he has to do he will go get a pull up and ask me to put it on then when he is finished he will take it off and throw it away. I don't know why he won't go in the potty.

LizzyPookey1248
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:59 PM
bump. My DS is only one so we havent started potty training yet...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kissybratzmom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM

They say the best time to start is when your child can stay dry for a couple hours and shows interest in the potty.. None of which my 22 month old does.

I have a potty and sit him on it sometimes, but he just has no interest in it.

kimbob2284
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM

I started shortly after his 3rd bday, and he picked it up really fast.  I had been telling him and showing him for a while, but didnt start making him until then.  His dad and I were getting divorced so I waited to push it until we had our own house, werent living at my moms anymore, and things started to get to their new normal.  I didnt want to push it when his life was changing so much.

AMsMommy212
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM

We're in the process. AM is 2 years and 7 months. We started about a month ago, I guess?? He does really well at home, but not at daycare, and he won't poop yet. It's pretty annoying and I dont see us saying bye bye to diapers anytime soon :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)