Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Half siblings?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2010 at 12:58 PM
  • 87 Replies
Do your kids have half siblings? Do they know them/visit them? I have a 5yr old son with my ex and my ex has 2 other children (a 2yr old son and a 4 month old daughter). Both of these children are by different women. He wants my son to meet his daughter and I dont think thats such a good idea. For one my son is at the stage where he is asking for a brother or sister and while this is his sister, he won't be able to be around her on a daily basis, play with her etc. you know? For 2 the little girl was born 3 months early and is still in the hospital(she's been there since August) He wants all his kids together for Christmas and yet he does nothing for my son. I know that shouldnt affect him seeing my son but its the principle you know? He wasnt in my son's life AT ALL til about 6 months to a year ago and my son will be SIX next month. Anyways, what do you ladies think? PS: Sorry for rambling :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 14, 2010 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
colins_mom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2010 at 1:01 PM
My son has a 2 year old little brother by his dad and he sees him all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMsMommy212
by on Dec. 14, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Yes. he has an older half-brother. No he's never met him. His Dad has only seen him twice since Madd was born. I do talk to the Mom often-- we have actually hung out a few times in the last couple years, but not with the kiddos. It's hard to correlate a time where I have him and she has her boy and we don't already have plans especially because she lives about an hour and a half away.

But we have tentative plans to meet at Chuck E Cheese at the end of January! Ex has started acting like he MIGHT get more involved with his first son-- so we want to get the boys together on more Neutral ground before they meet through him.

jeepingirrl

My kids have 3 half siblings that they see every week. They are all older than my kids.

As far as your son meeting his little sister I would def wait until she was out of the hospital. Being that she is a premie...and it is the season for colds among other things I would want to make sure she is healthy and already home before taking kids around her. I know if I was that little girls mom that is how I would feel.

I would also tell your ex that unless he plans on the kids having a relationship then really what is the point. Tell him you are not interested in them only seeing each other on the holidays as that is not really fair to the kids. Good luck momma!

marybmorrison
Wow, thats a toughie. While i understand your concerns about it and definitely would have the same feelings, i would probably decide to allow him to see her. Just bc this baby is his sister and hopefully one day they could grow to have that awesome sibling bond. Thats a wonderful thing to have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ame4c
by on Dec. 14, 2010 at 1:05 PM

No matter what it is your son's sister.  You can't keep your X from taking your son to meet her unless you have a custody order stating he only has supervised visits.

I think it is good for the kids to know their brothers and sisters.  Mine have a 1/2 sister with their dad.  My son hates his father and resents the baby because he says that his dad can't afford another baby.  So my son is learning from the experience.  He also did the math and knows the baby was created before our divorce. I guess my X didn't expect that. 

My daughter on the other hand is learning slowly but she is 5 yrs younger than her brother. 

lovebeingmrs
by on Dec. 14, 2010 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
my kids have a half sister. And no they dont know about her. The little gurls mom and me dont get along.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kbloomhall
by on Dec. 14, 2010 at 1:09 PM

My two boys are half-siblings technically, but will not ever affect their relationship or actually anything. Otherwise...My oldest does not. My youngest has 3 half-siblings. I know that one of the mothers would like our children to meet when they are a little older and can understand. (My son is only a year and her daughter is 4). I also know that one does not ever want her child having anything to do with any of her ex's children, which whatever, that is her choice. The third one really hasn't said anything but it is highly doubtful that they will ever meet.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2010 at 1:09 PM
My kids have a half sister who is going to be 10 in feb. She lives in another city but my 12 year old calls her frequently. I think u shld let ur son meet the half siblings. Its for THEM, not him or to prove a point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zmama22
by on Dec. 14, 2010 at 1:13 PM

my DD has a half brother, they see each other almost every week. they have a close relationship even though they have differnent moms. i also have a half sister and we have a a better relationship than i do w/ the sister i grew up with.  i think you should let your son have a relationship with his sibs. it's not their fault dad has issues. they are family and should know each other. it would suck for them to get older and have no relationship at all. if i didn't have my half-sister's support, i would have no family support at all.

lydi
by Lydi on Dec. 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM

my DD (5) has a younger half brother who is now 2 1/2, she has met him, but hasnt seen him in about half a year. and before that had not seen him in over a year.  her father keeps walking out on her life. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)