Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't believe he did this!! (update page 3)

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:18 PM
  • 34 Replies

I got summoned today to be in court on Friday, yes this Friday. I have one day to get a lawyer. DS's father is taking me to court to get temp SOLE PHYSICAL and LEGAL custody of my son. Saying I'm unfit, mentally ill, and a danger to him. I feel like I have been crushed and beaten. I can't belive he would do this to me. He knows how much I love my son and that I am a good mother. I have 2 older kids who are well rounded and perfectly fine. They are all taken care of. I think I'm going to be sick. I'm shaking. I'm calling legal aide tomorrow, because it wasn't until AFTER everything was closed that I got the papers. I am so hurt.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kissybratzmom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:21 PM

What you do is go in on Friday and tell them you were just notified and you need time to retain  a lawyer. They have to give you time to get a lawyer. They will then continue it to a different time. I just went through that in November. It was the advice given to me by the courthouse when I called. Good luck, and keep us updated!  ((hugs))

bxmom2580
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:23 PM

yup, do this

Quoting Kissybratzmom:

What you do is go in on Friday and tell them you were just notified and you need time to retain  a lawyer. They have to give you time to get a lawyer. They will then continue it to a different time. I just went through that in November. It was the advice given to me by the courthouse when I called. Good luck, and keep us updated!  ((hugs))

lextjmom0709
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lextjmom0709
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Footnotes85
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:26 PM

That's what I plan on doing. Even if I had a lawyer it's not enough time to prepare. According to my sister who is dealing with this stuff you are supposed to know at least a week in advance. Not to mention their only key witness is my soon to be x-brother in law and he has only seen me when he's been DRUNK and/or HIGH. He's an alcoholic who is also in a custody battle with my sister.. He has no money and suddenly now he can afford this one court thing (wonder where he got the money).. also turns out he and DS's father share the same lawyer. I also think the Judge is related to one of the people who has a kid in DS's father's TKD class.

Tashia07

Wow! I feel for you... They can continue it until a later date!

kevinfsmom

im sorryI agree that need to give you time to get a lawyer! Good luck!

athenaheim
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:27 PM
Sorry to hear that hun. As long as he can't prove u as unfit u will be okay. I have worried about this many times. I'm sure things will be in ur favor. Keep us informed. I'll keep u in our prayers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acastle2
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Wow I hope when yall do get settled in court he gets up there and looks dumb for even saying those things about you. They should give you time to get a lawyer. I hope legal aide takes your case and wipes the floor with his lawyer. I am sending my prayers too you in this time of need of serenity.

jeepingirrl
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I am a process server and it is not legal (in MI) to serve a subpoena that close to the court date. If the meeting is at the court house it must be served 7 days prior, if it is at the lawyers office it must be served 5 days prior.

I would call yourself a lawyer tomorrow but I would also be calling his lawyer and the court and letting them know that this was just served to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)