Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids in a Restaurant...vent...Update in red

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:49 PM
  • 22 Replies

So tonight we went to dinner for my friends DS birthday. Well it was just overall stressful. Her DS had turned 15 but she had the birthday dinner more for herself. She didn't even bring a birthday cake or anything. I mean heck we still do it for all of our friends and family cake is always there. Well there ended up being three 5 yr olds and one 4 yr old (my son there). The restaurant we went too wasn't exactly kid friendly. So the older kids picked two of the little ones to go and sit with them. I was weary but they took my son and he listens to all the older kids and does what he is told. The other kid is so-so well he def wasn't so-so tonight. The 5 yr olds were worse then anything I have ever seen in a restaurant. I was amazed and just dumbfounded. The parents ignored what their kids were doing. After we had all ate they just went buck wild. I pulled my son away from them and actually had to tell the kids to settle down MANY times. I worked as a waitress in a restaurant and it wasn't as fancy as this was BUT the kids didn't act like that and it was a fun place. They don't realize it FRAZZLES a waitress when kids are jumping around and making loud noises and running back and forth. The manager was trying to take an order over the phone when I was checking out and the kids were so loud he couldnt hear anything I said hold up I got this went and told them they needed to settle down or else they belonged to me. Which is a threat their parents actually use. (I am not a mean mom BUT when I say something it goes. A yes can turn into a no, but a no can never be a yes. Type of person and if I say there's going to be a punishment I follow thru with it instead of give in like the other moms do) He finally got the order in and thanked me for quieting them down. I went outside and came back in and they had started back up again. My son asked if he could go play I told him "no this is a nice restaurant this isn't a place to play at" I said it loud enough so the other parents would take a hint. One dad did and got his to settle down. I mean it just was absurd. Its not chuck-e-cheese HELLO keep an eye on your kid and reign them in when they are being bad. I wanted to pull my hair out at the end of the night. Am I the only one who thinks like this? Me and my mom were baffled by this but do yall let yalls kids go willy nilly in a good restaurant fancy places or even semi-fancy places?

UPDATE:::::

Ok so me ds mom and sis finally went back to this restaurant b/c well we just didn't want to go back to it still kinda embarassed to go b/c of the last experience. Well as I am checking out the manager goes "ah the good one is back so you didn't have to be mean tonight" OMG really did he remember that well I was humiliated but proud b/c my son was the good one. How much of a impact did those people leave. He said it was good and ok but I felt bad for him remembering b/c of that one experience. I wanted to hide my face but smile b/c my son was the good one. I don't plan on telling the other parents b/c they will go in there and let their kids behave worse b/c of it. Oh well food was good even better this time :)

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 1:07 AM

I hate when people dont control their children.  I'm sorry if you are misbehaving we take the food to go and you get a pb&j it's unacceptable

NearSeattleMom
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 2:32 AM

I'd never let my kids do that and disturb other people.

mclaren3433
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 4:03 AM

My girls know that they are to behave and use their manners when we are out and about.

momofne
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Oh no that was never acceptable!! I personally can't stand when parents let their children go wild.

josiahmom
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:24 AM

My sons genaerally are good eating out.  My youngest freaks out about food but other than that they act good.

jeepingirrl
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I can not stand wen kids act up when I am out eating. My own included. My kids know if they start acting up in a restaurant I will have them bring to go dishes and we will leave. I have done it many times. I know when I go out to eat I do not want to listen to no bratty kids and I know other people do not either. It is a common courtesy. If we are at a kids place then that is different.

ms.sophsmom
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 11:03 AM
I get stressed when dd gets a little out of hand, she is 18 mons though n doesn't really know better just yet.. Still though. I've seen kids running all over, screaming.. Once some kids, about 8 AND their parents were throwing straw wrappers and hit my great-grandma with one- they didn't even apologize.. Some people act like trash in public.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeckellette
by on Feb. 19, 2011 at 8:33 PM

We don't go to fancy places....or even semi fancy places. However, my child does NOT go all "willy nilly" anywhere. She knows the appropriate times to act like a child and the appropriate times to act like a "little adult"...within reason of course. And if she didn't or gets out of line at all, you bet your ass I am going to get on her about settling down and acting appropriately.

bxmom2580
by on Feb. 19, 2011 at 8:48 PM

thats why i keep my kids at home, i never take them anywhere

acastle2
by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 11:45 PM
bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)