Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok, My Kid Just Asked Me a Really Hard Question

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM
  • 11 Replies

I took my two year old daughter to the park yesterday and she was playing with a little five year old boy in the sandbox. His mother and I started talking and so the boy and I were introduced but, as they were playing, the little boy asked my daughter where her daddy was. So now she has been asking about her daddy. I tried to talk to her and explain that not all children have daddies but that's ok because I love her enough for both a mommy and a daddy. She seemed to understand but she keeps asking about him, even asking my parents.

She has never met her father. He and I dated briefly but I broke up with him when he started hitting me and he told me that he wanted nothing to do with her. I always planned to tell her who he was when she was sixteen and let her do with that information what she wanted. I Don't know how I can make her understand why she doesn't have a daddy.

I know other people out there must have this problem too. Do you have any advice?

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM

just keep saying what you have said, .. Keep it simple and to the point like you did, saying you dont have one, things just didnt work out, you just have a mommy and that you love. She will get it in time, just keep repeating it. It might be worth you taking a trip to the library and getting some books out on different families, I cant think of any off the top of my head but I'm sure you can get some very basic books so she can see that all families are unique. A she gets older I bet you'll find she asks less but understands more.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:24 PM

My mom handled it by telling us basically the same thing your telling your daughter. We would still ask and she said she loved us and then would tell us that daddy and mommy didn't get along and she loved us more so she got the best prize in the whole wide world. We were really young and I don't really have many small memories of my dad up until I got creeped out when I was about 6 b/c some weird man kept staring at me and my siblings and we just learned about stranger danger in school. Just reassure her you love her more then anything and in time it will pass

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:28 PM

when my dd gets sad about not having her dad around i remind her about the people in her life that love her, like her uncles, aunts, grandparents, best friends, etc and that every family is different but she will always have people who love her.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:30 PM
My three yr old asks me the same thing I try and try to explain but he don't understand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

My kids have asked me this once but it was when they were a little older. I just came out and told them the truth and that he moved out of state. They accepted that. However, somtimes they tell me that he is dead. My kids have came up with their own theorys. It is sad that some guys out there have these kids that has no idea who they are.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:42 PM

That does seem hard I wish I did have some advice for you hugs

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I think you are handling it very well. She is still very young.  I would get more indepth when she gets older and can understand better

by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:43 PM

were you watching "look whos talking" lol

by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Just keep what you are doing. DD's "dad" isn't in the pic and hasn't seen her since she was 3 months old. He doesn't want to. She has asked a LOT about him, she is going to be 3 in March, and I just tell her not all little ones have both a mommy and daddy but its not bad. She goes with it.....Good luck.

by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)