Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Section8 help

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM
  • 18 Replies

Okay so I finally can't deal with my mother's house anymore, I want out, but with all the things I have to pay for right now it seems unrealisitic that I'll be able to move out with no assistance.

I'm looking ofr some info about housing assistace, do you have it?. How much is it for? Can I get help with a deposit for a house? Do they help with it? What about low income housing? 

Check out my blog
I take lots of pictures
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:28 PM
Here is a bump. when i get online tonight i can help more with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Depends on where you're from?

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I live in CT

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 8:44 PM
Check your state's DHHR page, all this stuff is going to vary across areas. Do you know where your local housing authority is? Stop in and ask questions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:09 PM

There are three options Section 8, Low Income (public housing), and tax credit properties.  All three are based on you gross income.  Tax credit properties are usually more expensive.

You usually have to be on a waiting list for several months or years,with the exception of the tax credit properties.... if they have an opening you basically move in right away.

If you move into public housing the deposits can range of $0 to a full months rent.  Section 8 The deposit is at the discretion of the landlord.  The Section 8 program does not help with security deposits.

This is what I tell my clients when they are looking for low income housing. Go to > Housing/Rental assistance> choose the housing option you are looking for or the zip code of where you would like to live.  Several options will come up for housing assistance programs in your area.  You local county assistance office may have funding to help you with your deposit or give you the contact information for an organization that does.

I work with all three programs... they all have their pros and cons.  I live in a tax credit complex... the rent is based on 60% of my income, which helps me afford daycare, car payment.... You can use Section 8 in my complex.  I wish I had Section 8.  I am the only person in my building paying the full rent and really annoys me!

See what is available in your county, there are always programs their to help young families in need of shelter.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM
My church helped me and payed my deposit. I have 5 kids we live in a 3 bedroom 2 bath for $25 a month. And we get heating assistance to pay the electric bill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I now live with my Dad ( we are basically helping each other at this moment , me financial , him health wise I help with his daily care ) . But before moving in with my Dad I had been approved for Section 8 rent assistance. It covered 415 a month for a 2 bedroom home. And they gave out a list of homes that were for rent and Section 8 approved. I declined the help since I was going to move in and help my Dad. But it is nice to know that this type of assistance is out there until you can get on your feet. The rental coverage will probably differ where you live and how much normal rent is and how much you pay out in utilities and your needs. Also if the renter charges more the coverage you are approved for is still there you just pay the remaining rent. And that makes it much cheaper on you in the long run. Also depending on your area . Some places will also approve you for an Energy Check, basically something that is once a yr to help with utility bills. I would check into every option in your area for any type of assistance that you can be approved for since it is tight financially for you right now until you can get fully on your feet and in a better financial position . Also the low income housing ( its apartments here ) its based on income levels and my older sister lives in one , they are nice apartments and she pays about 185 per month. That is also a good option I would apply for both because those waiting list can be long and either one you get accepted for can be a great thing . 

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Another thing is that Section 8 and also low income housing won't cover the deposit. You can look into Churches or maybe a program that can help with that. And my sister asked the apartment manager if she could make payments on her deposit on her apartment and she was allowed to do that . So always ask the renter or manager for payment options on a deposit some people will work with you. Asking never hurts. Good luck !!! 

by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:10 PM

 im on hud housing they go by your income & if you pay daycare that also does help as far as how much rent you will be paying

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:14 PM
Section 8 does not cover here in my town. However we do have many low income places around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)