Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Women Raising Their Baby In Prison

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2011 at 10:40 PM
  • 12 Replies

Watching this show about women who raise their babies in prison with them. Not sure how I feel about this. They say there is strict guidelines to who is eligiable and who isnt. There is 10 spots available in the nursury for the moms. One thing that I first thought was How can you allow one mother who is eligable to keep their baby with them and then tell another one who is equally eligable they cant? It hasnt said what age limits they allow to be there. But i hope its not a older toddler or child. Babies didnt do anything wrong and there in prison. But for a baby under a year it may not so bad. Granted they will be used to that place But they are unaware its prison. Idk What are your thoughts?

baby girl Savannah's Mommy

by on Feb. 24, 2011 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PrYnceZzMommA
by on Feb. 24, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I saw something like that, and personally, I feel that prison/jail is no place for a child of any age. I understand that a mother, well, MOST mothers, do not want to be seperated from their children, but I also understand that most men and women are in prison/jail for a reason, usually a reason that means they really don't need to be near their children if they need to serve a sentence.

I think that once the baby is delivered, until the mother is released, IF she is released, the child should be placed in the family's care. I don't think that a child should be raised in a prison.

Savannahsmom428
by on Feb. 24, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I also dont think prison is for children. But Im having conflicting thoughts on this. I also dont know what the mothers are in there for but obviously its a crime so it doesnt matter. The reason im having a conflicting thoughts on this is because maybe someone is able to keep there child and bond and everything might keep them from getting out and going back to this lifestyle of crime, drug or whatever.

Chanel5nyc
by Shanell on Feb. 24, 2011 at 11:06 PM
I thought they usually do they do if the mother's sentence is short. So, the baby will be there from maybe a few days to a couple of months depending on the remaining sentence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Savannahsmom428
by on Feb. 24, 2011 at 11:20 PM

No there are only a handful of prison that allow the mothers to keep their child. Its something new a few prisons are trying

acastle2
by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 12:39 AM

The children stay up until about 2 or 3 (from the one i saw) and then it goes to foster or family care till the mother is released. One mother i saw had like 6 more yrs left on her sentence. They have to be on the BEST behavior b/c they will rip that priviledge in a heart beat. I do NOT think that's a place for kids to be at any age. I think it should be outlawed b/c its a bit hypocritical to let a mom spend time with a child but not a dad sorry ya double standards blah blah blah BUT a father has every right to it as well heck if their both in prison they could make it every other weekend at least he will keep his visitation unless he's in the hole

leiner544
by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 12:42 AM

I am watching this too. I have the most horrible look on my face. 

I have so many negative thoughts. 

There is no part of this program that I agree with! yuck.

kirstn007
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2011 at 12:44 AM

i heard the woman prisoners have to be close to being release like 18 months or something. but anyways not too sure on how ifeel about this......im more against it. but, i really see both sides.

camommy08
by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 12:46 AM

i saw this one i think it was true life or someting and the women was first denied cause of why she gotten she was in for drugs and have a weapon i think breaking and entering not sure...from the impression i got it depends on your behavior in jail and the reason why. They can fiht the judgement it what the mom did in the show and got in and I think he depends on how long u are in.

i think like all things there is good and bad. yes the babies did do anything wrong theyre mommys did but they get to interact with other babies the moms take classes. The get that time with there mommies so they have that bond. no matter what it is sad. One time I was at the gybo get my oud put in and in came a women who was prob 6 or more  months pregnant and was in the prison came in with 2 guards all cuffed up

Savannahsmom428
by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM

There is def good and bad to everything. But this show did not give me enough info for me to really come to a decision about how i feel. If the kid cant stay with a family member they go to foster care which could be equally as bad. I mean the laws for fosters parents are strict but that doesnt mean there isnt any problems with foster care. There has been some horror stories about foster parents abusing and killing the kids. I want to know what makes them eligable. maybe if i knew that i would think this as being bad. Other than being in prison I think there are mothers raising there kids in worse enviroments. the kids are safe and its not like a jail cell . They get more freedom. Im just kinda up in the air. pros and con to everything. But what if these same parents were out of prison and doing this stuff and raising there kids would that be good for them. At least everyones safe the mother is getting help. Depends on the crime and history of the person i guess. Every situation is different. This could be good because the mother have a chance to kinda see what being a parents is about and maybe that will push them to succeed for there childs sake. And when they are realesed they dont want to go back to there old lifestyle.

Savannahsmom428
by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Quoting acastle2:

The children stay up until about 2 or 3 (from the one i saw) and then it goes to foster or family care till the mother is released. One mother i saw had like 6 more yrs left on her sentence. They have to be on the BEST behavior b/c they will rip that priviledge in a heart beat. I do NOT think that's a place for kids to be at any age. I think it should be outlawed b/c its a bit hypocritical to let a mom spend time with a child but not a dad sorry ya double standards blah blah blah BUT a father has every right to it as well heck if their both in prison they could make it every other weekend at least he will keep his visitation unless he's in the hole

I think they do it this way because the women in these programs were pregnant when they went to prison. They cant bring there kid to prison with them. In some states fathers dont have any rights till they go to court and ask for them if they werent married to the mother when the child was born. thats how it is where i live. And the prisons that offer these are all women prisons. So if both parents are in jail you cant send the kid back and forth. Im not saying fathers shouldnt have rights by any mean. cause they should. I just dont see how it would work in this situation. I dont think it should be outlawed because of fathers rights. If it should be outlawed it should be for the childs sake. The child is the only one that matters. Whats best for him or her is the only thing that needs to be taken into consideration. Not whats best for the mother or father.

baby girl Savannah's Mommy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN