Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How big?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:29 AM
  • 4 Replies

Does anyone remember how big their little one was at 7 - 8 months?  Or, if you have a kiddo about that age, how big are they?

My ds is 7 months, and will be turning 8 months on 3/11.  When he was weighed/measured at our WIC appt last Wednesday he was 27" and 15.16 pounds.  THey made a huge deal out of how small he is.  At his doctor appt on 2/21 he was 26" and 14.8 pounds.  Every time I go out with him, someone comments about how small he is.  Today I had a lady tell me that nobody would ever guess my ds will be 8 months soon, and that she thought he was only a couple months old (even though he was sitting straight up in the cart and everything).

He eats all the time, so I just don't understand!  The nutritionist at WIC said he needed to be about 18 pounds for his age, and that he's too small.  He just doesn't seem to gain weight, though.

Suggestions?  Advice?  I'm freaking out over him being light and worrying that something is wrong.. Am I paranoid?

This is his eating schedule:

7:30 Breakfast- 8 oz bottle and a thing of fruit with lots of oatmeal (he loves oatmeal

11:00 - 11:30 Lunch - 1 thing veggies w/ rice and 1 thing fruit

12:00 6 oz bottle

2:00 Snack - Yogurt drops or rice rusks w/ a little bottle of juice in his sippy

4:00 - 4:30 8 oz bottle

6:00 Dinner - A stage 2 Gerber dinner (mac n cheese, turkey and rice, chicken noodle, etc) and 1 veggie

8:00 Sometimes a little snack like a little thing of fruit or rice rusks or whatever

8:00 6 oz bottle

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
angelcatia
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Babies grow at their own pace. My little one will be 3 next month and only weighs 26 lbs. She has always been tiny. As long as he eats, seems happy and healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.

aj23
by Amanda on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:50 AM

My son was only around 15lbs at 8 weeks. He will be 4 in May and weighs 32lbs and is 34-35 inches tall. He's always been tiny (6lb 3oz at birth) and I have always been told that as long as he is growing (even if its slowly) he's fine. Even now people are amazed at how tiny he is and assume that he's about 2 instead of almost 4.

People at WIC aren't doctors and if your doctor isn't concerned then you shouldn't be.

camommy08
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:56 AM

he sounds like he eat well and if the doc is saying much dont worry I have the opposite problem well kinda people are always surprised when I tell them my dd is 2 1/2 they think she older cause she soo tall and they say big but she not fat!

animebuddy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:57 AM
My kids are always pretty small so your son doesn't sound bad to me. Wic people I wouldn't pay too much attention to. Every child does not grow according to some book. Kids are different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)