Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

help and advice from experienced single mommas :)

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2007 at 11:50 PM
  • 11 Replies
ok...soooo my baby is 4 months old...i used to have a good job and nice apt where i used to live til they fired me bc i didnt qualify for fmla so i moved in with my aunt to a smaller town..i just started a seasonal job at kmart..working 20 hrs/wk if im lucky at 7.50/hr, which avgs out to bout MAYBE $250, could be less, havent gotten a stub yet, i pay a car payment, car and life insurance and my cell but i just would LOVE to know, how, if anyone, went to school and worked at the same time, i mean worked a full time job and school AND pay a babysitter...i was thinking of going back to school in jan but i dunno if thats too early or what or if i can even do it..i just really need some advice and maybe encouragement bc right now, im really feeling like i cant hack it, with what little money i make and not having a set job that isnt going to say thanks for working with us seasonally and have to yet again, go job searching...im SOOOOOO stressed out right now...can anyone at all help me, tell me how YOU did it?? thank you so much in advance!!

Crystal and Elyseya baby

by on Nov. 3, 2007 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jmslape
by on Nov. 3, 2007 at 11:54 PM
I went to school full time, and worked 30-35 hours a week when my daughter was 4mo. It was hard, I never realy saw her, but the state helped me with daycare, and helped with wic, and foodstamps. Good luck, I know it can be ruff!
SassySue123
by on Nov. 3, 2007 at 11:57 PM
Work hard on the season job and maybe they'll ask you to stay on full time after the holiday's.
Go to the college now, start filling our grant forms, study . take any admistions test. Get the ball rolling, if you really want to go back to school - there are programs out there, you just have to find them and apply.
umm, talk to your Aunt - you will need her help. I hope she is supporting you in your decion to go back to school. BUT you will need her help in watching the baby so you can study, at the least.
Just work hard and hang in there, it'll just worse before it gets better.
I'm now a single Mom with three kids, I own a home, decent vehical and decent paying job.
E-mail me anytime...
YOU can do it - First it is for yourself and Second, it's for your baby.
butterfly837
by on Nov. 3, 2007 at 11:59 PM
I'd go to the financial aid office for the school you want to go to.  There are SO many scholorships and grants for single parents and you could end up getting a lot of your education for free.  Also look into daycare assistance with your local family services office, you may quality for help there also.  It will be hard to go to school and work and balance time with your baby but it can be done.  You'll be better off with an education and be able to do more for both of you once you get that.  If you're worried about time, maybe look into online classes, that way you could do your school after the baby goes to bed or in whatever free time you have and save money on a babysitter.  Good luck and good for you for looking to better yourself!
manders018
by on Nov. 4, 2007 at 12:01 AM
A lot of schools have daycares available where priority is given to the student's children and it is high quality at a cheaper rate. Most of the people working in the daycare are education majors who want to make childcare their life's work. There are A LOT of financial aid options out there for school when it comes to single mothers who do not make a ton of money. And as another mom said that there is government assistance available. Good Luck
Saveferris
by on Nov. 4, 2007 at 12:03 AM
Right now I am in school. And I work 30 hours a week.
The state pays for daycare. And stuff. And I dont get to see my son a bunch. But its going to be worth in the long run. Plus I live with my parents and they HELP me alot. So, I am thankful for that.
But its HARD. not easy. My son is 2 and half. So. good luck if you have any question feel free to talk to me
SingleMamaof1
by on Nov. 4, 2007 at 12:06 AM
I don't want to discourage you and just remember this is only my opinion.  But I wouldn't go to school with my baby being so young.  School is hard and a lot of work not to mention your K-mart job.  I've been in school for a long time and there are alot of hours involved in it and the study time too.  With your baby being 4mo. old that would be rough also.  My son is almost 12 and it's a little easier for me but when he was younger it was hard.  You don't want to put yourself in a position that will overwhelm you.  Being a single mom and worrying about finances is a big stressor alone.  Unless you feel that your strong enough to handle everything I would wait until your baby is at least a year old.  This is just my opinion though. 

ADHD & Us   http://www.cafemom.com/group/92                                                                                    

Had a bad day? Need a pick me up? http://www.cafemom.com/group/PositiveMoms                     

supermommy7507
by on Nov. 4, 2007 at 12:09 AM
i just feel like im going to live with my aunt forever!! ive been on my own since i was 18 and once i had elyseya, things got superhard...its just that i feel like if i get it done sooner, i can get a career going and not have to worry about living with someone else....i already feel kinda like a burden, i really do cuz she pays for everything for me...dah, im just so overwhelmed and scared... :(

Crystal and Elyseya baby

hnsgardens
by on Nov. 4, 2007 at 12:09 AM
Before you go back to school look into the job market in your area or where you want to live. Don't just get a degree and believe that that will be enough to get you where you need to go. If you are at all good with math or computers, I'd suggest looking into the "non-sexy" computer programming jobs. Things like database security or network infrastructure, those are the jobs that have little competition and lots of companies needing to hire. You don't have to be a whiz-kid or geek to do them, you just have to work hard and study.Good Luck!
nannyogg
by on Nov. 4, 2007 at 1:19 AM
Can you qualify for daycare assistance through your state? A lot of states have it set up so they assist with a big chunk of the daycare costs for moms who are "underemployed" and going to school. Don't be afraid to use whatever public assistance is available; it's there to help you get that leg up to get your education. What area are you going to school for? Some fields have programs to help you out, like most of the health service professions have National Health Service Corps loan repayment funds available if you are willing to go all the way through school and then work in an "underserved" area. I worked my butt off in school to keep my loans low, and was able to get all my loans paid off within 4 years of finishing, thanks to NHSC.

Tig
1girl_3boys
by on Nov. 4, 2007 at 1:22 AM
I am a single mother of 4 one being special needs.  I work about 15 hours a week will be starting a seasonal job this week and school next week.  I'm sure it will be hard but the final result will be worth it and you will be proud of yourself for doing it.  Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)