Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bf kids and parenting style *UPDATE IN RED*

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:53 AM
  • 27 Replies

How do you adjust to having your bfs kids around and having a different parenting style?
My bfs kids are fine and I like hanging out with them but his parenting style makes me crazy I'm afraid that this will be a deal breaker any advice? This is my first time dating a single dad.

So his kid was bugging the dog and poking him in the face the dog got annoyed and nipped at him (the dog didn't touch him) He flipped out started yelling. I asked him to put the dog outside (The baby was napping on me) I appologized for the dog he sat there for a little longer.  When the baby woke up he started playing and his older pushed him down (in my opinion he says the baby fell ok whatever) i asked his son to be careful of the baby.  BF flipped out again yelled at his kids to get their stuff they were leaving.  So they left he starts texting me saying that i need to do something about my dog.  I told him he has never done anything like that before and that I am not getting rid of him but we will find a way to keep the kids and him seperate if they come back up.  big fight blah blah blah he said that I was judging him the whole time and that he was on pins and needles and maybe it's better if we don't do this again for awhile.  I told him his boys were fine they're kids.  I like him a lot but honestly I wouldn't be heartbroken right now if he decided to break up with me.  I have my DS that's the only man i really need.

Group MOD  Group MOD
CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ahampe
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:56 AM

I dont have any for you! havent had to do that yet! Hope ya figure it out!

r_luvli
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:17 AM
Try talking to him and see if y'all can come to a compromise on parenting. My ex-bf and I couldn't see eye to eye on this and it became such an issue that I ended the relationship before my growing resentment started to negatively affect the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
animebuddy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:43 AM
I haven't been in this situation myself, but talking to him seems like a good idea. How are y'all parenting styles different?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
josiahmom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:51 AM

compromise

Mommyto2LilMen
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I am not too sure hun, my BF doesn't have kids, but his parenting style is amazing, he just spend Thursday and Friday with us and he was awesome with  my kids, even taught me some new things!! 

LifeCafe42
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM
Thwy are 3 and 6. He is always telling then to sit or yelling at them. At the restaurant at the end they were acting up so I told him he could take them outside and I would pay for it. He wouldn't he was paying for a meal he should get to finish it. He said anyone who has kids would understand So why should we leave.
He threatens time outs and doesn't follow through. I know this is their first time coming to my house so their going to be excited but he isn't letting them do anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaitsmom247
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:10 AM

hmm, maybe he's a bit nervous around you and really wants them to behave and not "mess up". maybe? I know im pretty strict on my kids but i also know when to let them cut loose. i'd talk with him about it and let him know he can relax if thats the case. then give it time to see if things change. thats all the advice i got. lol.

Chanel5nyc
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM
How many times have you been around him and his kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistyLopez
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:04 PM

I was in that boat not long ago. I ened up droping him. He has no displine for his 8 1/2 yr old dauighter. Reason (his reason) she has no mom. She has hit, kicked and crused and yelled and him in fornt of me. she is disrespectful, and rude  to other adults. I tryed to talk to him about it. and he publiclly screamed and yelled at me out side the fun spot ( where our kids go after school). I also talked to my daughter and said I didn't want her to go over thier anymore and vice versa.

LifeCafe42
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM

This is our second time around eachother the first time was the olders birthday party at chucky cheese.  Honestly I don't know how much he will change it seems like normal parenting for him.  his kids don't listen and they don't have rules.  my 1 year old listens better.  I plan on giving it more time but it's a little frustrating when he is either yelling  at insignificant things or ignoring things.  I feel bad jumping in and saying no but its my house my rules i told him that before they came.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)