Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you handle your 12 year old son?.

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:51 AM
  • 11 Replies

My son is so defiant and irresponsible.We often fight bcoz of his attitude.He would always ran away after our argument.frustrated

by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormystar15
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:53 AM
Im not sure seeing my oldest boy is only 4 but i think its a phase but not sure. good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shy_Dia
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:01 AM

depending on where he runs when he's mad and for how long, personally- i say let him go. whenever i got mad around that age and the person didnt give me my space-- even now at 22 years old- it gets BAD! but after he calms down and comes home, talk to him about whatever happened.

how is he irresponsible? to have or do  certain things, he needs to show his responsibility. if he cannot care for his belongings, he doesnt deserve new ones... if he doesnt honor his word, he is treated like a child; second guessing him, going after his stuff, etc (if he makes plans with a friend- call teh parent to make sure... call his teachers to see how he's doing in school, etc)

also- me and my mom fought the most, the worst! it was mainly b/c we are too much alike; too hard headed and stubborn- we'd always clash. i've since cut her outta my life (different reasons), but i will say that once i left her place- it was easier to get along with her b/c we went by each other 24/7.... not saying to kick your 12 year old out... just be aware that you and him could be so much alike that you clash.

NearSeattleMom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:44 AM

Has he always been like that?

wubbunny420
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:46 AM

my son will be 12 in a couple weeks and he has aspergers,ODD and ADHD so te way i handle his behavior depends on the day.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 3:48 AM
Oh lord... I keep communication open but mine is troublesome too. So foul mouthed and irresponsible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:48 AM
Let him cool off and talk WITH him when you are both calm. No yelling, no lecturing. Some of the attitude just needs to be ignored. Pick your battles. Find a sense of humor and use it. I have been doing this with my 14 yr old son and it works way better than yelling, arguing etc. Letting him learn through natural consequences is great too. I don't nag and now he is spending 10 weeks in tutoring, no XBox and reading at minimum 3 books of my choice with studyguides over the summer. Good luck!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Betutah
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Sorry to here that have him volunteer or join church or sport.

redlionheart
by on May. 23, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Thanks for the advice.bow down

He would ran away overnight and don't want to tell me where he had slept. I am so tired of comparison.He would always blurt out that his friends are always out and also throwing up bad words but their moms are not bothered and doesn't scold their kids.He finds me over acting.He doesn't know how to ask permission when going out, he would also sneak out at night then go home at morning time. He is so messy, can't even wash the plates he had used for eating.Disorganized kid,he doesn't want to do his projects in school.So lazy to do his school home work.Also very cruel to his younger siblings.He tends to hurt his two younger brothers.Worst is he would always say that the two younger kids deserve it bcoz they're so naughty.

I just want to teach him good values and be responsible but for him i am trying to envade his life. I always end up screaming and slapping him when he answers back sarcastically. 

redlionheart
by on May. 23, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Actually just last year, when he turned 12. He thinks that he is an adult already but acts like a 2 year old child.Wants to be independent and treated like an adult but he doesn't act like.shrugging

redlionheart
by on May. 23, 2011 at 2:32 AM

I'll try to do that. thank you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)