Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

temper tantrums/adhd *no judgement please* Sorry, long

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:41 AM
  • 17 Replies
Hello Mom's! My son is 6 years old and I'm having some concern about his behavior. He's been having problems in school. He's not able to focus, he's constantly moving, he's stolen from the cafeteria and the classroom. I did some research on ADHD a little while ago. (When he was having more Red days than Green and Yellow combined.) After reading the books I thought, my kid is nowhere near this bad. He had some impulse control issues and lack of focus. But nothing like the book described. Well, in the last few weeks, my opinion has changed. My son has thrown some of the worst temper tantrums I've ever seen. He's been screaming at me, telling me he hates me and he's going to kill me and he's breaking things. (Last night he took the light bulb out of the lamp and smashed it against the TV.) I guess I'm writing this to get some insight from other Mom's. I'm concerned for my son. He managed not to hurt himself last night with the lightbulb but what about the next time. He may not be so lucky. I don't want him labeled in the 1st grade as adhd because that will follow him for the rest of his school life. But I don't want to ignore the fact that it's getting worse not better. Ugh...help?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CMcDougal
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:01 AM
It could be that, or it could be something else. I'd have him evaluated. I have ADD and was diagnosed as an adult, and I SO wish that they had diagnosed me sooner. I really feel like it would have made my life so much easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alison08
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:43 AM
I would get him evaluated. Idk what's bad about being diagnosed with something. He will get an IEP at school which will help him. The sooner he gets the help, the better. And maybe its not even ADHD. I'm sure it's stressful, Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:32 AM

I think you should take him to a dr or a counselor. You need to get to the bottom of this before he hurts himself or someone else. My daughter has ADHD and imo it's more than that.

LifeCafe42
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:47 AM
I agree with the other ladies it doesn't hurt to have him evaluated maybe have him are a counselor it might be other things as well. Good luck mama
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RenFairMaiden
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:11 AM

My DD is in second grade and she has ADD. I would get your son evaluated for his sake as much as yours.

vamom08
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:19 AM
I think he needs to see a therapist or he might be acting out for attention reason. I think he will be okay sorry your going threw this is something going at school with the other children that could be a result as well some kids express their anger is different ways when their going threw problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:19 AM
It doesn't hurt to get him evaluated...good luck hun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_again2001
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:35 AM

i would have him tested for it my ds is the same way he was tested twice he is on meds and they help so so much he is not a zombie he can just focus better my son is now 9...i was diagnosed when i was a kid i really think it helps...my opinion is just get him tested he could be just having behavioral issues and needs guidence or it could be more...good luck momma

tyfry7496
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:39 AM
He needs to be evaluated and have a proper diagnosis and treatment plan in place. Now!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DDDaysh
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Well, first things first.  Getting a diagnosis and having him "labeled" in school are two different things.  Because ADHD is a medical condition, he can be diagnosed and receiving treatment without you having to tell the school anything about it.  That being said, it usually is best if the school is informed and a 504 plan or IEP is in place.  This is to HELP your son, not to label him with anything negative.  Some of the best and brightest kids are ADHD.  

Also, there is no guarantee that what you're seeing is ADHD.  There are many related dissorders and it is important to figure out exactly what is happening.  I recomend you get your son evaluated by a Child Psychologist or Pedatric Diagnostician.  As well meaning as your normal pediatrician or family practitioner might be, it's usually best to not let them make this particular diagnosis because to get the most exact diagnosis requires more in depth evaluation that they typically do.  Once you know what is going on you can talk to your child's doctors about the best course of action.

Oh, and in the meantime you might want to check out 1-2-3 Magic.  It's a parenting tool that many parents with "behaviorally challenged" children have used with great success.  I'm actually starting to use it more strictly myself right now.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)