Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking about joining the army

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:35 PM
  • 13 Replies
I want to know how can I join the army I have a 2 year old daughter and I have been a stay-at-home. I'm scared its going to effect her emotionally if I leave her but right now its the only way to survive even though I have a great support system. I was thinking about going to school for criminal justice I just wonder if I don't join will I have a stable career in criminal justice. I'm really leaning on joining the army. PLEASE LADIES I NEED ADVICE
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grneyedormom
by Kendra on May. 21, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Speak with a recruiter, I've heard plenty of rumors that the Army is turning away potential recruits and "kicking" people out because they are at capacity for soldiers. Speak to other soldier Mom's, join a military group, do your research! I will tell you that when I was working in a juvenile detention facility and considering getting my Master's in CJ that most of my co-workers advised against it, and suggested something with a more broader scale for my Master's work. You can have a degree in Human Services, Psychology, Public Admin, etc and work in the field of CJ.

tyfry7496
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM
Actually I have had people with social work and human service degrees talk me into a criminal justice degree. A psych degree is very limiting. And you need atleast a masters to do anything with it. You have to go with what interests YOU the most though not what any of us say. I'm in a bachelors criminal justice program with a psych minor. Choosing a major or career isn't always about how much money you can make but about what you can see yourself doing for another 30 years. Good luck!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mia1983
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:30 PM

I was in the military and after I got out I went to talk to an army recruiter about enlisting a second time...the rule is that you cannot join as a single parent.  But you should still talk to a recruiter to find out for yourself. 

CMcDougal
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:38 PM
Yea this is what I thought was Army rules but maybe other branches are different.

Quoting Mia1983:

I was in the military and after I got out I went to talk to an army recruiter about enlisting a second time...the rule is that you cannot join as a single parent.  But you should still talk to a recruiter to find out for yourself. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
petite101
by Danielle on May. 21, 2011 at 8:50 PM

If you want to join the military, please join the Airforce. It has way better opportunities than any other branch. My sister in law joined as a single mother and all she had to do was make sure her child was taken care of while she was in basic and AIT.

Mia1983
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:37 PM

It goes for all branches.  When I talked to the recruiter they told me to enlist before my divorce or I'd have to sign over custody to join (even though it may be fraud if you do that).  And signing over custody to someone is not worth it.  But that is active...there is also guard and reserves which will have different regulations.  Here is more and it's a great site for general military info.  Look into different branches.  AF is best!

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlsingparent.htm

Quoting CMcDougal:

Yea this is what I thought was Army rules but maybe other branches are different.

Quoting Mia1983:

jeepingirrl
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:27 PM

I was in the military prior to having kids. After having kids I would not consider it again simply because my top priority now is them. I could not stand to be deployed and be away from them. I think it would be VERY hard. If it were me I would pursue a degree.

vamom08
by on May. 22, 2011 at 2:07 AM
That's why I ask I could never leave my child I have been a stay at home mom for 2 years. I never stayed long distance from her only in the hospital after my breast reduction I was away and the second time I was aways from her was in the hospital I had stomach pains We have a close bond so I might reconsider for my daughter kids don't worry about money they're focus on that love and affection from a parent I don't want to abandon her.

Quoting jeepingirrl:

I was in the military prior to having kids. After having kids I would not consider it again simply because my top priority now is them. I could not stand to be deployed and be away from them. I think it would be VERY hard. If it were me I would pursue a degree.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollinicole
by on May. 22, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Like someone said above you can not do it as a single mom who is the only active parent.

Mommyto2LilMen
by on May. 22, 2011 at 8:25 AM
Good luck hun, everyone else is right tho, talk to a recruiter and see what they have to day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)