Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Missing rent?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM
  • 17 Replies

I dropped off my rent off in the drop box on Saturday night & now my apt complex can't find the money orders.  They "looked everywhere" and have so graciously asked me to stop payment.  To do so thru WesternUnion means I have to send in the originals of my money orders, wait up to 30 days, and eat up a $15 fee for each money order (they can't issue orders for more than $500, and rent was $920 so I had 2 of them).  I told this to the manager who turned into a royal bitch.  "Well than you will have to do what it takes to get the refund, or come up w rent again"...AND they're going to continue chargin me late fees until they get their money.  I'm so pissed bc I did my part, and now bc these MFs can't find my money *I* have to go thru all this??  Does this sounds right??   

Photobucket
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lunarprancer
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM

OMG, no, holy hell I would be one pissed off bitch!

Lunarprancer
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM

I would also be going over heads.

nappeal
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I think I'm going to go there...

Quoting Lunarprancer:

I would also be going over heads.

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:54 PM
I would definitely be pissed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aviatioNation
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:01 PM

It sounds reasonable of them to make you provide payment if your first payment was "lost." Do you know how easy it is for someone to just lie and say they put the money in the box when they didn't? They're running a business.

Shy_Dia
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:04 PM

950 for rent?! holy shit! how do you make it! lol

i'd go above their heads too. i mean, what'll happen if the money order was already cashed? like if someone from there cashed it and just said they never got it?

DAHLONEGAMOMMY
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:07 PM

From a legal standpoint, you really dont have a leg to stand on. She has no way of knowing if you really did put the money orders in the drop box. She isnt responsible for providing proof, you are. Even if you show that you purchased the two money orders, how is she supposed to know that they are for your rent? I can see why you would be angry but it isnt her fault that it happened any more than you consider it yours. She has to do her job. I hate that this happened but legally it is up to you to prove you paid it. 

nappeal
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:07 PM

While that's true...I have provided them w both money order receipts in the exact amount of $920, and the assistant manager had called WesternUnion to check the money order status and did see that they were legit and not yet cashed.  NTM, they left the back off of the drop box, so for all I know, when I dropped it in, it flew somewhere else and NOT into the box they conveniently left @ the bottom on the floor.

Quoting aviatioNation:

It sounds reasonable of them to make you provide payment if your first payment was "lost." Do you know how easy it is for someone to just lie and say they put the money in the box when they didn't? They're running a business.

KailesMommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I understand where they are coming from and where you are coming from!!! But OMG I would be freaking out!!!!

FLmom26
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I've haad that happen before, but it was money orders for paying off a traffic ticket for my ex (while we were still togeether) His license almost got suspended because of it. Such a pain! Hope you get it settled quickly. Is there maybe someone you could borrow from to pay the rent until it gets settled, and then pay them back when you get the money orders refunded?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)