Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Having him give up his rights

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:05 PM
  • 10 Replies
Well I'm 38 weeks pregnant and babydaddy not round.. He might be at tha hospital though.. Dodo any of you let them benon the birth certificate but asked them to sign their rights over for whatever your reason are.. Did you guys fight over it?? Or did you have a difficult time with getting a signature or was it a price of cake??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nappeal
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:07 PM

If you want for him to sign over his rights, there's no reason to have him sign the birth certificate...I understand that if he were to sign over his rights, the government would issue a new birth certificate w out the father's name.

lissetteP
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:29 PM
Week if he shows up at the hospital I want him to sign the BC saying he recognizes he's the father of my daughter but I want him go sign over the right invade I need to fly out of state or anything else I don't wana suffer looking around for him specially when he doesn't even have a phone

Quoting nappeal:

If you want for him to sign over his rights, there's no reason to have him sign the birth certificate...I understand that if he were to sign over his rights, the government would issue a new birth certificate w out the father's name.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samscham89
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:33 PM
He can't sign his rights over. Trust me I tried. Everyone on here told me I had to be married for at least a year and my husband would have to adopt her. Well I'm not ever planning on getting married so that's a no go!
But if you keep him off the BC you have full custody a d he has no rights. He'd have to take you to court for visitation, which will be costly and followed by Friend of court opening a child support case. So all you can do is just keep him off the birth certificate and try to stag away so he doesn't take you to court to spite you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nappeal
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:36 PM

If you still want him to be around for whatever reason, I would then ask that he give you full legal and physical custody once she's born.  This way, you have total call over her w out his interference, but he's still around for your child.  But, if he signs over his rights to your daughter, he'll become basically non-existant to you.  You will not be able to call on him financially or physically at all, and if you were to @ some point want child support, or need him to care for your daughter, you will have no right to expect it from him.  Maybe you should think for thouroughly him signiing over his rights? 

nappeal
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:37 PM

IDK for sure, but I think there has to be XX amount of documented time of him not being involved w the kid's life before he can sign over his rights.  I think it varies w every state too.

Quoting samscham89:

He can't sign his rights over. Trust me I tried. Everyone on here told me I had to be married for at least a year and my husband would have to adopt her. Well I'm not ever planning on getting married so that's a no go!
But if you keep him off the BC you have full custody a d he has no rights. He'd have to take you to court for visitation, which will be costly and followed by Friend of court opening a child support case. So all you can do is just keep him off the birth certificate and try to stag away so he doesn't take you to court to spite you.

Photobucket
samscham89
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:40 PM
Yeah in some states it's like 2 years of absolutely no contact and it's considered abandonment. But alot of states dint have that, and if they do usually still wint allow him to sign over rights.. For the simple fact they rather have the mother receive child support then welfare., which is only fair.

Quoting nappeal:

IDK for sure, but I think there has to be XX amount of documented time of him not being involved w the kid's life before he can sign over his rights.  I think it varies w every state too.

Quoting samscham89:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovinLiv
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:55 PM
Honestly, give him a chance, a kid deserves their biological father to love them, if yours is willing to come to the hospital then he's more involved then a lot of the women's sperm donors are here. Don't deprive your baby of her/his father because y'all aren't together anymore. Now if he bails that's on him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nappeal
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Yea, and as much of a pain in the ass as it is for those who have the DBD bounce, its great they have that period of 'abandonment', otherwise there would be a shitload of men wanting to sign over their rights in order to avoid CS.

Quoting samscham89:

Yeah in some states it's like 2 years of absolutely no contact and it's considered abandonment. But alot of states dint have that, and if they do usually still wint allow him to sign over rights.. For the simple fact they rather have the mother receive child support then welfare., which is only fair.

Quoting nappeal:

Quoting samscham89:

tyfry7496
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:57 PM
He can't just sign over his rights. There has to be a good reason for courts to terminate rights. Mainly severe abuse, someone else to adopt the child. The abandonment rule is a joke!! In WI it's 2 years. My ex didn't see my son for longer than that yet termination was denied. It's very difficult to get rights terminated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Why bother putting him on the bc if you want to terminate his rights??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)