Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone else have POF?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:05 PM
  • 14 Replies

Ok so I finally made a POF account I'm kinda new at the whole online dating thing so does anyone have any advice? Do's or don'ts either is appreciated. :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
samscham89
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I just made one too.. I seems really akward to me lol

countrymom1990
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:08 PM

i have an account on there too and i have learned its a good idea to really get to kno someone befor meeting in person

ame4c
by Group Admin on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I met my SO on the internet, but it was after weeding through a bunch of unfriendlies...LOL.. I discovered with internet dating you have to know exactly what you want.  It really is kinda like the bar atmosphere because ALOT are just out there for just sex.  I think it is easier to weed through them on the internet though than at the bar. Probably because I'm not having to tell them to back away in person.

My Rules for internet dating were:

1. They had to be my age or older (and no more than 5 yrs), simply because I did not have not had good luck with guys that were younger.
  2. They HAD to have a steady job.  Too many mooochers out there and I was married to one for 12 yrs. 
  3. The HAD to already have children.  Yes I looked for a man that had kids.  The ones I dated that didn't have kids either wanted to have children of their own (and I didn't want more) or just plain didn't understand my challenges of having children.
  4. I would chat with them on the internet or phone for a couple of weeks before the 1st meeting date.  If sex was mentioned before the 1st date, it was canceled....LOL.. If they want to talk sex before they meet you that is all they want to begin with and I was looking for more than that.
  5. Before the 1st date I would do a background check and if there was any agressive behavior that was a show stopper.  Many states have the court system on the internet now and all you have to do is search for their name. If they've ever been to court for anything it will be there.  Anything from speeding tickets to divorce will be there.
  6. 1st date HAD to be in a public place and I met him there.  My best friend had his phone number, name and address. She new when I was meeting him and what time I expected to be home.  This is important because there are ALOT of freaks out there.  I've also had double dates to ease the pressure, safety in numbers :D.
  7. On the 1st date, if they didn't offer to pay for the meal, then they didn't get a second date.  It's shows respect.  I would always offer to pay for my 1/2 and often did, but if the guy didn't at least offer to pay that was a date ender for me.
  8. NO man met my kids unless I knew it was going to be a serious relationship. My current SO and I dated for a month before he met my kids.  I would date only when my kids were visiting their father.

My worst horror story was the guys that just wanted sex.  It was annoying and a big turn off for me once I was looking for a serious relationship. 

Robsessed98
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Don't believe everything you read or are told.  There are many married dudes on their looking to get laid and will lie about it until they do.  Chat with them for a while before giving out your phone number or meeting them.  I'd even consider a background check. I'm not kidding, there are some real scumbags on those sites and it's scary.

mommyof1ltlgirl
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:59 PM

DO NOT give out personal information right off the bat..Talk to the guy for a while before you do..I use to have an account with POF and I loved it..I hope you have some luck

-nUrSeToBe-
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:03 PM
What is POF??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LizzyPookey1248
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 12:17 AM

plenty of fish. Dont worry I asked the same thing when i first seen the word pof lol

Quoting -nUrSeToBe-:

What is POF??

-nUrSeToBe-
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 12:29 AM
Aahh, I see....hmm, online dating... I've thought about it, but it seems to me that there would be a lot of crazy men on there. I'm scared. Lol

Quoting LizzyPookey1248:

plenty of fish. Dont worry I asked the same thing when i first seen the word pof lol

Quoting -nUrSeToBe-:

What is POF??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kissybratzmom
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Advice? I have POF and I'll say this much..you get what you don't pay for on there. A lot of uneducated idiots on that site. Oh, and perverts!

LizzyPookey1248
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 8:45 PM

I've already had a guy pretty much tell me I wasn't worth him bc I would not let him come over after we had only messaging each other for two days...

believe me I am already starting to learn lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)