Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How young is too young?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:52 AM
  • 29 Replies
What age do you think is the proper age to dye a child's hair?

FYI: I'm not trying to dye my dd hair. Lately I've been seeing young girls from the ages from 5-10 with dyed hair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WMyLil_Star13
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:56 AM

it depends really, if it washes out in the shower like some of those funky colored ones do I don't see the problem with a little fun color in a young girls hair...but I would say permanent color not until they are like 13 and above. just my opinion though.

js321
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM
As a part time hair dresser, we try to stay away from it until 18. If there is a parent there giving concent more like 15-16
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ame4c
by Group Admin on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I died my daughters hair at age 8 because a big case of Lice went through the schools and we could not get rid of the little shits.  I combed her hair every night and used the shampoo, but the dang little things keep showing up.  So I called the DR and the DR said to dye her hair.  The color I picked out I thought it was a very similar color to her natural, but it turned out to be redder than I wanted.  It looked pretty good on her though, oh, yes and it did work for the Lice.  She hasn't died her hair sense (she's almost 11 now), but we've discussed getting it highlighted. 

tyfry7496
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM
I say 15-16. No reason before that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kissybratzmom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:20 AM

I broke down and let my DD get a few subtle highlights. She's 12. It was more of a bribe. She didn't want to cut her hair or bangs, and it sooooo needed it.

jeepingirrl
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:23 AM

When my son first got his mohawk at age two I used some of that blue spray and turned his mohawk blue, lol. But it washed right out. My cousin is 11 and she get's little funky colored highlights in her hair from time to time. I dont really see a problem with it.

AMsMommy212
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:26 AM

For fun I'd say 3 or 4 years old is ok. My friend puts colored streaks in her kids hair during the summer. But I wouldnt let my kid dye their hair regularly until probably 7th-8th grade. That's when I started highlighting mine.

LovinLiv
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Highlights, around middle school age. Full out dye around high school age. But for fun dye that doesn't have ant chemicals and washes out like 3 or 4 is fine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CMcDougal
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:19 AM
Middle school is a good starting point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM

i have been doing my dd sense age 7 ..but that was just a few pieces.i,ll let her add highlights once or twice  a year.no full dye till 12/14.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)