Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do & how'd You get there??

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:52 AM
  • 38 Replies

The last 4-5 years I've only had a few full time jobs and they didn't come anywhere near the pay I need. One was minimum wage and one was under $30k. I think I'm spoiled b/c I was making $30k when I was 23 with only one child and we were comfortable.

Now I can't find a job that fits my schedule, can't afford daycare, (now single again) single mom to 3 boys. It's like I'm unemployable and it's really, REALLY, really, starting to mess with my head. Because I went to school, have a 4 year degree, and basically had a life, I have debt and bills and with 3 kids I have a lot of expenses.

I finally gave in and moved back in with my mom. Hopefully my younger 2 will start headstart next week. (FREE but only from 8am-4pm) Just thinking about job searching almost sends me into a panic attack. Almost 5 years with a rocky job history, how do I get started? What do I look for? How the heck did I end up here? Anyone been in a situation like this?

Plus I'm just curious what do y'all do for a living and how did you get there?? :)

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gregory2
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:58 AM

All I know, is to flood your resumes. Whenever I go job hunting I probably send out 100 resumes with a handful of call backs. Thats what I did with my current job, which was a heaven sent! I spent two days doing nothing but resumes. I didn't know if they were hiring or not, they still got my resume ya know.

Then the next job, my current employer called for an interview. They called me the same afternoon of my interview and offered me the job. I was speechless. I hadn't worked in two years, and hadn't stayed anywhere more then 6 months. I was 6 hours away from my AA in accounting. I landed a payables job with them. I make over $30K now, but didn't start out there. I am a single mom to two boys and one little girl . Still my income now does not cover my expenses. So my job offered me a scholarship through there business for part of my schooling. I start back on the 23 getting my BA in accounting and marketing. Hopefully, that will help me tie these ends together!

Anyway- thats a little about me. I have been with my company now going on 3 years in September!

Have faith, and just flood places with resumes.

What is your degree in?

unspecified42
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I'm an RN. I went to school while I lived with my parents (there are BS to RN programs available, which would accelerate it for you). There are scholarships, grants, and loans available to help you while you are in school (I lived on student loans, but repayment options arevery flexible and I make enough money now that it isn't an issue).

You can make about $50K/year starting out and will always be employable anywhere and any time. You can check with your state and see if they have ADN or diploma programs, which are only 2 years.

ame4c
by Group Admin on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I busted my ass to get my masters degree in Information Security.  I worked 40 hrs a week, took care of two kids, and went to school full time.  My parents and grandparents helped some with babysitting, but I took as many online classes as I could so that I could spend time with my kids.  I slept probably 3 hours a night, but it was completely worth it.  My X doesn't pay his child support regularly so it's nice to not have to depend on him.  It infuriates him that I make more money than he does too.

ame4c
by Group Admin on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Quoting unspecified42:

I'm an RN. I went to school while I lived with my parents (there are BS to RN programs available, which would accelerate it for you). There are scholarships, grants, and loans available to help you while you are in school (I lived on student loans, but repayment options arevery flexible and I make enough money now that it isn't an issue).

You can make about $50K/year starting out and will always be employable anywhere and any time. You can check with your state and see if they have ADN or diploma programs, which are only 2 years.

My mother did this with 2 very small children as well.  I remember helping her read her note cards and watching her give oranges shots...LOL

ame4c

AMsMommy212
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I'm an office Manager 8-4 Mon-Fri, though I do stay late a lot and work a few Saturdays a year when it's crazy. My parents own this company, and gave me this job right out of high school. I quit after about 14 months to pursue my actual career goal, but didn't get 'there' before I got pregnant, so I came back to this job because it's flexible, good hours, good benefits and decent pay. I started at 24k a year (4 years ago today!) and now I make 36k.

hybridkar82
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM

My degree is Legal studies. Yeah I know -_-      I've been in and out of school for the last year  to supplement my income and to find a new field but with school, kids, and work I've always had to quit. I think things will get better soon now that I have support. Sweet, thanks for sharing your story. I'll try your advice too.

Quoting gregory2:

All I know, is to flood your resumes. Whenever I go job hunting I probably send out 100 resumes with a handful of call backs. Thats what I did with my current job, which was a heaven sent! I spent two days doing nothing but resumes. I didn't know if they were hiring or not, they still got my resume ya know.

Then the next job, my current employer called for an interview. They called me the same afternoon of my interview and offered me the job. I was speechless. I hadn't worked in two years, and hadn't stayed anywhere more then 6 months. I was 6 hours away from my AA in accounting. I landed a payables job with them. I make over $30K now, but didn't start out there. I am a single mom to two boys and one little girl . Still my income now does not cover my expenses. So my job offered me a scholarship through there business for part of my schooling. I start back on the 23 getting my BA in accounting and marketing. Hopefully, that will help me tie these ends together!

Anyway- thats a little about me. I have been with my company now going on 3 years in September!

Have faith, and just flood places with resumes.

What is your degree in?

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM

When I became a single parent, at 27,  I returned to school and finished my bachelor's degree. I work in a job (just under $30k/year) that I LOVE in a field that everyone hates because it's CPS. I'm thankful to have a job I love in this time with such a tough economy. My bills are paid and months can be tight, but our needs are met. :) You'll make it, moving in with your Mom is not a sign of weakness rather a sign of strength in order to better your situation. Look for work, start at the bottom of the ladder if you need to (remember, it's the economy that makes it hard to find work).

hybridkar82
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Sweet keep 'em coming. You all are amazing!

I'm in grad school for counseling not sure how the money is but I'm thinking when I graduate at least we'll be able to keep our lights on and not get evicted again. I took the nursing school entrance exam and was all set to go to a small, expensive, private school to get my ADN in 17 months. But then I found out that you don't get any $ back to live for the semester. Now that I'm home maybe I'll look into it again.

aj23
by Amanda on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I am co owner of a children's store. I met my partner and his wife at a huge consignment sale and we hit it off and after a long time decided to go into business together. He takes care of all the day to day store things and I do the book keeping and payroll. .
I got into it because I was broke as a joke working at Dillards and there were women who would come in when we were having huge clearance sales and by hundreds of dollars of clothes and they would mark them up a bit and resell them at the sales. I started doing the same thing as well as selling them on ebay and made some really good money.  I took most of the money I made and invested it into the store. I still do the sales though because the store hasn't made much of a profit and I don't get much from what little work I do there.
I have degrees in both accounting and chemistry but honestly I don't want to be in either field. 
 I bought  the study material  to become a certified personal trainer but I have a lot of things going on and haven't really had time to take it seriously. I've been thinking about it for a while though and I think that it really is what I want to do. I hope it is anyways cause if not I'm going to be 40 with 100 diplomas and working at McDonalds lol

CMcDougal
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:34 PM
I work for my state attorney general. Got the job through someone I had interned for while in law school : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)