• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids and cellphones

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM
  • 5 Replies
Ok i saw this posted in another group about 5 yr olds and cellphones. I know that when my ex husband comes back and demands his rights my son will have a prepaid with numbers of me my family and super close friends programmed in it incase something happens and he wants to come home. It wont be a fancy schmancy phone but he will have one. What do you ladies consider too young or right or wrong circumstances?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
DDDaysh
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:17 PM

It's far too dependent on individual situations to have a universal rule.  In general, I don't think pre-schoolers need them, BUT my son was in daycare with a 4-year-old who had one, and in her case it was a good thing.  Her dad had recently been killed and she was having serious separation anxiety.  If she had the phone and knew she could use it to call her mom ANY time SHE wanted to (without having to get adult permission) it made it easier for her.  For the first month or so it got used alot, but after that it really was only used every once in a while.  However, it really helped this little girl, so the mom figured it was worth the $20/month.  It was cheaper than missing work or extra therapist appointments! 

On the other hand, most kids simply don't need them until they're much older.  It isn't as simple as "we didn't have them as kids" though, because back then payphones were everywhere!  Now they're not, so usually there will come a time in middle or high school where the kid will need a phone.  It's different for every child. 

My son will certainly have a phone before he gets a car though! 

proudmommy85
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I remember seeing ads for phones made specifically for younger children I wanna say they were called like firefly phones or something, and they had 4 buttons so you could program 4 numbers for the kid to be able to call and that was it. I would get my son something like that. I have seen 6 year olds with iphones, that is just crazy to me!

Kissybratzmom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I just let my DD get one for her birthday. She turned 12. It's mainly because she rides a public bus to and from school and if I'm not here at home she has a way to get a hold of me.

cshepard
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:36 PM
We don't have a home phone so both my kids, 14 and 10 have one and have for some time now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aj23
by Amanda on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM
My son will get one as soon as he understand that just because he can call someone doesn't mean he has too. I never hear from anyone when he's at his dads and I would like for him to be able to call me or his dad when he wants. He's 4 now so it will probably be soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)