Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone dealt with head lice?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM
  • 10 Replies

If any of you have read my past posts, you know how stressed out I have been in the past, to the point of feeling so incompetent that I, at one point, thought maybe my daughter should go live with my mother.

The good news is that she's back from her summer break and absolutely loves being in middle school.

The bad news is that she left on July 2nd for three weeks, during which I was going to reclaim myself, my work, and my fitness.

On July 3rd, I got a call from my mother saying my daughter had head lice and sure enough, it turnes out I had them too.

Ever since I have been cleaning and bagging things and nitpicking. I still haven't eradicated them from my home and I am losing it.

I haven't been able to do anything else, I can't work, I stopped answering my business phone.

I know more about these freaking bugs than anyone should ever know and still I can't eradicate them.

I've done every treatment, OTC and natural, except for Ovide, which is like DDT (Malthion) and am at my wit's end.

My daughter is able to attend school because I nit pick for hours every night.

I haven't slept in my own bed since July 2nd, I cut off all my hair and shaved it and still I have nits. My hair is only about 1 1/2" long right now and I look awful and ugly.

This is really wearing on me and I don't know what else to do.

Has anyone dealt with this problem? I don't think anyone can truly know what it's like until they've been in this position.

Thanks for listening.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Goofygoddess72
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM
How interested are you in doing a home hair dye job? It works... they can't make it through the treatment... spray ALL furniture with the spray... use metal nit comb, not plastic one... bag all stuffed toys in plastic trash bags for 1-2 months and tie em up tight! Boil ALL hair items... wash ALL bedding in HOT water... oh... and believe it or not... the mayonnaise treatment on the hair DOES work!! Good luck! My DD had a screaming case a few years ago that it took almost 3 months to get rid of... just keep doing the treatments... if all else fails... see doctor for Rx...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
althearose
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I've done NIX, olive oil, mayo, tea tree, cocunut conditioner. I've bought three types of metal combs. I nit pick every night. I do 6 loads of laundry every night. All matresses have been professionally cleaned and then wrapped in plastic. I've shaved my head and dyed it THREE times. I dyed my daugher's hair once. All permanent dyes with ammonia. We've done herbal, we've done homepathic. We threw out all pillows. New ones are in the dryer seperately for 60 minutes each day. All sheets are laundered daily. Vacuum. You name it, I've done it. Oh, also Listerine and vinegar. My pharmacist says that Listerine is worse for you than permetherin.

I don't know what else to do.

I can barely function anymore.

Goofygoddess72
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:10 PM
I know it's overwhelming... the worse part is thinking you're getting no where fast! Then there's the horror that everyone's going to find out... just realize that it's something a lot of people have been through, they just don't want to talk about it... make an appt. with doctor about getting the prescription shampoo... some will just call it in to pharmacy for you without seeing you... if you aren't finding any live lice... it could be close to being controlled... the only way to eradicate the nits are combing, unfortunately. The further down the hair shaft, the older the nit... so if they aren't next to your scalp, they may be dead... if you still have actual lice... you might want to try hair treatments for ethnic hair... like relaxer or hair goo for hispanic hair... these items suffocate the lice but do nothing for nits! I hope this helps a little more...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
althearose
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I had to tell everyone that my daughter had been in contact with. It was embarrasing, but I felt it was the only right thing to do.

All of this because of one sleepover. It wasn't even that fun of a playdate and apparently the girl told my daughter that someone deliberately gave her lice about a month prior. Well, this girl has the longest, frizziest hair I have ever seen and I seriously doubt that if she had lice, they were able to sucessfully treat it. My many calls to the girl's mother went unreturned, so there you have it.

My whole summer has been ruined, my finances are a wreck. I can't function. I don't sleep. My house is a mess of black bags and laundry.

Everytime I look in the mirror at my hair I want to cry.

aj23
by Amanda on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Is there any way you can stay somewhere else for a couple of days? Lice will die if they dont have a host. If you can get out of the house then all that are there will die off quickly.

The problem with doing laundry every day is if there are any on the floor or on you is that as soon as you pull something out of the dryer they can climb on it. Also if you have a car make sure you treat it too or avoid going in it for a day or so.

althearose
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I treated the car seats, which are leather, with tea tree oil and water, then went and had all the mats washed and all the leather wiped down at the detailers.

Should I get the RID spray and use it instead?

I have two places to stay at, and have treated them both. We are gone from each for 3 days at a time.

I just spoke to a professional nitpicker. She is coming tomorrow to do a nit check on us and to help us out.

I can't take this anymore.

Goofygoddess72
by on Aug. 22, 2011 at 6:43 PM
Just wanted to check in with you and see how things are going with you... I hope things are looking up for you! ((((Althea))))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Penguin311
by on Aug. 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I know how lice can be a pain - I worked at a summer camp one summer and we had an outbreak of a Russian strain of lice (curtosy of our international program) and had to treat the WHOLE camp - all 150 campers and 50+ staff....we bagged the WHOLE camps sheets, pillows, stuffed animals (although I will admit I kept my stuffed animal - but i never got the lice) we shampooed and nit picked EVERY person on the camp campus, which was paritally my job - I ended up giving mulitple people hair-cuts to help rid them of the lice.  It was nasty and ridiculous and a pain in the butt - multiple campers had to be shampooed multiple times - but we finally eradicated it!  So i feel your pain.

I don't have any additional suggestions besides the ones given above - but good luck and you will kill it eventually - maybe when you leave for a few days ahve the place fumegated as well?

manders018
by on Aug. 22, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Have you flea bombed your house? That is the one thing that gets missed most of the time when people are taking care of their lice problem. Also with the oil on the hair thing you then need to have someone pick (not comb) out all of the lice. Good Luck I know it isn't fun :(

mystica01
by on Aug. 22, 2011 at 7:34 PM

What i did to get rid of lice once because all else failed was use the green rubbing alcohol and put a plastic shower cap on my daughter's head  for a few hrs and then put her in the tub and believe me they were all dead...then i just nit picked and used rid or rite aid..otc spray..and put her stuffed animals away for a few mths..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)