Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen Boys with ADD & ODD

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM
  • 13 Replies

Does anyone have any experience with this? My son was diagnosed w/ ADD several years ago, and was doing very well with having it under control, but for the past year or so has been showing symptoms of ODD.  He will be 15 in a few months, and I am worried that if he does not get this under control, the problems will get worse.  He has the brain of a typical 15 year old, but the hormones and body of an 18 yr old....I though at first it might be hormonal, but as I look at all the behaviors, it seems to me it could be ODD......any advice / input?simple frown

mom 2 a Princess Diva..<3wearing crown

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cadeesmommy0120
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM

No clue...but here's a bump for you!

Mommyto2LilMen
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Not for teen boys, my son is 5 and has both diagnosis'.  *HUGS* And good luck to you!!

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM
Going thru this w 13 year old too. Don't know wtf to do either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flprincessmom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I have an appointment to see about diagnosis and possible therapy...but I am afraid that if it gets much worse or out of control, that they will 5150 him....I DO NOT want him on meds, I want to try therapy. I put him on meds when he was first diagnosed with ADD and he had such an adverse reaction to it that I immediately took him off and with the DR's approval we did therapy until we moved. He seemed to have it under control until he hit puberty...now that his hormones are in FULL FORCE, he seems to have anger issues....just like his dad.....my son has so many allergies to different meds that I just want to go the homeopathic route.....still searching for advice &/or suggestions....

Quoting faerie75:

mom 2 a Princess Diva..<3wearing crown

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Puberty is really odd on kids with ADD/ADHD, for some they outgrow it, others it seems to intensify it.  Your son is old enough to A.  know right from wrong, b. what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior and c. to know the consequences of the behaviors.  I realize you do not want to put your son on meds, but what does he want?  Does he want to do therapy?  Life as a teenager is hard enough not to mention adding adhd into the mix.  My oldest, who is 14, has been diagnosed with everything from ADHD to ODD to Autistic tendencies (before aspergers was the popular diagnosis).  He was on meds from age 4 til 12 and has now been off them for 2 years.  However, he is struggling badly in his freshman year of high school.  To the point of failing his classes.  I told him yesterday that he has 1 week to turn it around and get missing assignments in and and improvement in attitude or he is going back on meds.  At first he told me he wants to go back on the meds, then he said he wants to try drinking coffee in the morning (it has the same affect on kids w/ adhd as ritalin).  So he has started drinking coffee again, so we will see.

flprincessmom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM

My son also drinks coffee for the effects, and also because he likes it..lol.....but he has alot of emotional baggage.....we are going through family therapy, but I think we need to get him a different kind of therapy...something more geared towards his emotional issues and the anger and to find out if it is a part of his ADD or if it is ODD. I know they kind of go hand in hand....he needs to learn how to get it under control before it is too late, and that is why I am hoping therapy helps....he does not want to go on the meds because he knows how so many of them he has had a reaction to and we have found out he is allergic to, and I do not want to put him on meds for the same reason....

jinxmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM

(HUGS) I don't have a boy but a girl 17.  From what I've experienced adhd isn't outgrown those who have it learn to manage.  Adhders usually have a comorbid diagnosis along with adhd ie odd, bipolar, ocd, anxiety, depression etc.  Adhders usually have anger issues mostly out of frustration.  My dd knows this and is trying her best to ctrl it.  I see changes in her everyday for the best.  She does take meds but only for school.  School is the worst place b/c she cannot focus.  To much stimuli.  I would suggest continuing counseling.  Its good for them to express themselves and/or talk to someone.  The majority of teens esp those with adhd want to be heard.  When he is angry what triggers it? I observe my dd so much that I can tell when she is about to meltdown so I try to avoid it and instead let her vent w/o putting my 2 cents in.  This helps her to think, if she asks my opinion then I give it.  I read a book called how to listen to your kids (?) not sure if right title but it was suggested by my dds therapist.  Maybe ask the therapist about it.  hth

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM
Meds are not bad. You should try something else. I got it right on the third try. They all work different on different ppl.

Quoting flprincessmom:

I have an appointment to see about diagnosis and possible therapy...but I am afraid that if it gets much worse or out of control, that they will 5150 him....I DO NOT want him on meds, I want to try therapy. I put him on meds when he was first diagnosed with ADD and he had such an adverse reaction to it that I immediately took him off and with the DR's approval we did therapy until we moved. He seemed to have it under control until he hit puberty...now that his hormones are in FULL FORCE, he seems to have anger issues....just like his dad.....my son has so many allergies to different meds that I just want to go the homeopathic route.....still searching for advice &/or suggestions....

Quoting faerie75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM
Anyone have any good hints about finding a good therapist? I have tried it twice and never found one that was a good fit.

Also, I still melt down and I am an adult, so I really sympathize w my son. I melted down at dfw on Monday when I missed my flight. I am talking an epic one. Everyone saw and one of the flight attendants gave me a free beer. It is def not as bad as when I was a kid but it still happens, usually when I am combo tired, overstimulated and an unexpected change happens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM

My oldest used to have meltdowns.  Panic attacks more like it, new kid in kindergarten class would send him into a panic and he'd take off.  The teacher would call the office and say "stop him" and they would know what she was talking about.  It got to the point that on the days when his teacher would be absent she would call me and say 'i can't legally tell you not to bring him to school, but i won't be there'.  I would not send him, it wasn't worth it.  What I did do was not give him a choice.  I picked one thing to tackle at a time, ie shoes without socks.  I took away all his socks, he didn't have a choice, if he wanted to go outside, he'd have to wear shoes without socks.  Going from shorts to pants in the winter, he'd be afraid of getting too hot.  I'd hide all of his shorts.  He had a really long list of things he would panic over, I took each one, one at a time, and conquered them with him.  Not by counseling as much as, 'this is life, get over it attitude'.  While a lot of people don't think this is the best way to do things, it worked great for him.  No panic attack issues anymore.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)