Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The cost of raising a baby

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:43 PM
  • 19 Replies
Im 6 months pregnant and lately i have been thinking about the cost of milk and diapers etc for my baby. Can any of you please give me an estimate of how much money every month will it cost for diapers and formula???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovebeingmrs
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:45 PM
Make an appt with your local Wic, office to help with formula. They help so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimikylemama
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Why don't you try breastfeeding and using cloth diapers.  Its so much cheaper, better for your baby and way better for the environment.  If I have more babies I am 100% sure I will be nursing and cloth diapering my baby(s).

ambertink
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:01 AM
Breastfeed your baby exclusively and cloth diaper. No cost for breastmilk. And cloth diapers can be pricey up front like 500$ for everything you need but in the long run much cheaper than disposables.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebmarie90
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Quoting lovebeingmrs:

Make an appt with your local Wic, office to help with formula. They help so much.

I agree. I have WIC and its great! They help with baby food and formula and milk and all sorts of stuff! If you breastfeed you get more baby food. I bf, I get about 20 jars a month or more. 

If you really want cost, think of it this way, you have to buy diapers like once every 2 weeks depending on the size box you buy and how often you need to change to baby. I use Luvs (but my favorite is the new huggies slip-on) and the small pack is about $7 at my Walmart. But I have to buy them every 2 weeks.
formula is usually over $10, but a lot of companies send out coupons and don't be afraid to buy store brand. when you get to baby food, and snacks, that adds up. Its usually more than .50 for a thing of baby food and snacks are usually over $1. Then you have wet-ones you have to buy, and those run a little less then diapers. Then clothes, which you can shop at consignment shops and see if you have any friends who can give you any hand-me-downs. 
Anything that your baby grows out of and is still in good condition you can take to a resale/ consignment shop and sell there that way you can get some money back for it all.  

Hope I didn't overwhelm you! GL and Congrats!!!! 

LifeCafe42
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:47 AM
Wic is awesome. Exclusively breast feeding is best but not always possible. That was my plan but I couldn't make enough and trust me I did everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyliesmommy7
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:50 AM
Breast feed and diapers 50 to60 a month but breastfeeding has saved me a ton
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 2:42 AM

all you have toreally do is go to a store where you most likely will buy your diapers and formula.  CHeck how many diapers in the pack and then say oh probably change their diapers 10 times a day.  Formula about 6-8 bottles - check the container to see how many servings in the container, that should be your weekly amount.  Mulitiply that amount x4 weeks and that will be your estimate.

Chanel5nyc
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 7:08 AM
Well I got a lot of things from my babyshower. I had boxes of pampers and wipes that lasted until my daughter was 6 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hdecker1217
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 7:11 AM
See if your SO can have a diaper party w/his friends! I also exclusively breastfeed and we get roughly 90 jars of baby food a month! It's kinda ridiculous bc she doesn't eat that much LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2TwinGirls
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:01 AM
If you are formula feeding & you dont get wic I would estimate it would be about $40 per week on formula, if not, more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)