• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Needing a little encouragement :| **Update**

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:41 AM
  • 18 Replies

Ok ladies,

I pushed really hard to get back into school this past spring. There were  a lot of obstacles I had to overcome, but I made it! I am pleased with my grades this semester, and I've been looking forward to start the spring. Well we just had pre-registration for spring.... My dilemma..... I work 8-5 I need night classes or Internet classes. Well this college doesn't cater to that. Everything is basically durning the day (for my major, Accounting). So I need to take 18 hrs for spring, 9 in the summer, then another 18 in the fall and I will be DONE! I can see the freaking light FINALLY! However, NOTHING is being offered this Spring for my "schedule" I want to better myself so bad, and I want this degree more then anything. However, I can't quit my job.... I've got 3 kids and a dead beat daddy. There are no other universities in my area for me to go to.. Only junior colleges, and I'm past that stage now. I'm just so frustrated. I want to curl up and cry. Nothing can ever be easy for me, and I don't want to give up :\

Update: So I talked to my mom, who works in Human Resources at this University. She told me to go straight to the Dean of the College of Business. So I called and talked to his administrative assistant. she has refered me to the head of the facility advisors. So i've gotten in touch with him. We are going to sit down and go through every option avaliable to me to ensure my degree and hours. So YAY! I'm feeling a little better about it!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:53 AM
Can you go see your advisor? What @ talking to ur boss? Im sorry :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gregory2
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Quoting faerie75:

My advisor literally is retarded! Every Time I'm in there she doesn't know what is going on. I ask her about substituting classes or switching something up and she looks at me stupid and says "why don't you just do what that have listed here" Um.... Well bc its a little difficult to take those exact classes with your times. lol. Also, the college says x amt of general hrs, x amount of business core hrs, x amt of accounting core hrs, and x amount of electives. So it doesn't have to be the exact classes on that sheet. So, i never really get anywhere when I try to talk about classes off the route of the "sheet"

As for my bosses, I'm playing with that idea. See if maybe I can come in early and stay late and take my lunch for some classes. The only thing with that is my business actually helped me financially get back into school. I really did a good number when I was 18 on anything financial. So the whole thing was, this wouldn't effect my work. I'm in their accounting office, and we are a seasonal job, and spring is our busiest time of the year. Like if it was now (fall/winter) I really don't think there would be a problem. However, spring, is a different story. My "job" is in accts payable, and if we don't get someone paid in time it will be all h*ll around here- So I'm just stuck....

Thanks for your response though.... I'm looking to see some outside view points that maybe I could make happen-

Kelly1308
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Don't give up.  Dig deap inside your soul and know that you can do it.  It may not be on the

time frame that you are looking for but God will help you get through this.  I have one son

and a dead beat dad as well.  I am struggling every month wondering if I am going to be

able to keep the house.  Somehow with Gods help, I have been making it.   Good luck

and remember YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

ame4c
by Group Admin on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gregory2:

Quoting faerie75:

My advisor literally is retarded! Every Time I'm in there she doesn't know what is going on. I ask her about substituting classes or switching something up and she looks at me stupid and says "why don't you just do what that have listed here" Um.... Well bc its a little difficult to take those exact classes with your times. lol. Also, the college says x amt of general hrs, x amount of business core hrs, x amt of accounting core hrs, and x amount of electives. So it doesn't have to be the exact classes on that sheet. So, i never really get anywhere when I try to talk about classes off the route of the "sheet"

As for my bosses, I'm playing with that idea. See if maybe I can come in early and stay late and take my lunch for some classes. The only thing with that is my business actually helped me financially get back into school. I really did a good number when I was 18 on anything financial. So the whole thing was, this wouldn't effect my work. I'm in their accounting office, and we are a seasonal job, and spring is our busiest time of the year. Like if it was now (fall/winter) I really don't think there would be a problem. However, spring, is a different story. My "job" is in accts payable, and if we don't get someone paid in time it will be all h*ll around here- So I'm just stuck....

Thanks for your response though.... I'm looking to see some outside view points that maybe I could make happen-

I'd be asking for a new advisor.  Some smaller colleges will have practicum classes, where you learn on your own and are suppervised by the teacher.  They often do this when someone is close to graduation and needs credit and the classes aren't offered.  If your advisor is not giving you answers, go to the department head, if that gets you no where, go to the dean.  Keep asking questions until you get answers.

ame4c

gregory2
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Thank you ame4c for your advice. There are only two advisers in there, and they both end up talking to me. The other one really seems to know a lot more, but she is still set on follow the "sheet" which, in general, is a guideline. I'm not wanting to just take classes for hours, but to take classes toward my degree. I'm ready to be done! I am thinking of going to the dean anyway, just in reference to not having any night classes for this particular field. If they truly want to be a competing University they are going to have to open up more classes to get wider diversity of students attending. Again thanks!

Robsessed98
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Have you checked into online courses?  I'm doing it that way and it works out great.

gregory2
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Yea, thats all I take online classes or night classes. They offer NO accounting online classes. They may slip one or two in there for a night class, but its nothing compared to what I have to actually take for the semster. I need 15 hrs to keep my scholarships and right now I'm sitting with 9 (all online) with nothing else avaliable. I'm trying to figure out a solution- (even though I'd rather take 18 I HAVE to have atleast 15

Quoting Robsessed98:

Have you checked into online courses?  I'm doing it that way and it works out great.

angelinanunn
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Would it be possible for you to look up other colleges around that offer online only courses, and possibly transfer your credits to that college so you can take your courses online through another college? Or talk to an advisor they may be able to make some other suggestions on how to work around it. I know it can be very frustrating, but there are a few online universities that might have the classes you are looking to take. Good luck.

emilyvb
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:03 PM

i am in the same place as you! dont worry you are not alone and even though  times can get pretty hard, your efforts will not go without reward. things will get better if you just keep pushing forward :]

photogal831
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Can you skip one term? take the classes you need spring term in summer term? Adjust your work schedule for summer/fall when its less busy, it would just push your finish date back a term

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)