Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Experienced Moms help!

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:14 PM
  • 11 Replies

Is it normal for my 18 mth old daughter to NOT be talkiing yet?? It seems like evryone's kids I know are already talking and my daughter wont. She points at things instead. I think the reason is because instead of daycare she is either here with me or while I go to school she is with my grandparents, all she has to do is point & they will give her what she wants.  Also her dad has never been in the picture & now she is scared of every male excpet my dad & my grandfather, I dont know how to get her to overcome this fear?/ Any suggestions

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KRIZZ25
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:22 PM

wen she points to something say what it is and tell her she wont get it till she sayes it.. make a point of telling her every thing u give her.. repeat repeat repeat ...as for the men .. it could be ur reading to much in to it..some kids don't like men.. if u have had a lot of different bf than she will have a hard time wth men..if ur worried take  her to her doc..

KRIZZ25
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:23 PM

bw i have been rasing kids for 20 years ..i have 3 ,ss and have see a lot of kids go throw different stuff ..

KailesMommy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I think you may just be reading into her being afraid bc she doesn't have her father around. But I'm not sure how to get her to over come that. But the not talking, tell her what it is she is pointing to and tell her if she doesn't tell you she can't have it. Keep repeating with her. Show her a paci and tell her, show her a doll and tell her. Just keep working on it. Tell your parents you need them to do the same thing as you are doing because she needs to tlk. She is old enough to start trying at least. If you don't feel comfortable with where she is at, take her to her doc.

gregory2
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Ah, the man thing isn't too concerning. However, when she is pointing at stuff, start saying what it is giving it to her. After you've done that a little bit, make her tell you what it is. Also go around the house pointing at things saying the name of it (make it a game) If she still doesn't catch on, go to the doc and get her ears checked out. My oldest was behind verbally. I thought it was bc he was the oldest. he wasn't in daycare and much like you if he pointed he got something. Well when he started prek-4 he failed a hearing test. Turns out he had fluid in the middle of his ears. We had to get tubes. Since then the has been in speech thearpy. He started speaking double what he was within weeks. We only need speech thearpy bc he doesn't make the correct sounds with some letters. Luckily my other two I knew what to look for and I know about what they should be saying by certain ages. First just try saying names of everything, see if she repeats them.

LancesMom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:34 PM

You need to stop doing things for her and get her to ask. Good luck!

raegan1221
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:38 PM
I don't know..I was 2 yrs old before I started talking. And my Mom was concerned like you are, but dr said I wasn't ready and I'd talk when I was ready and I did. Also..something that helped my son is when she points, don't answer or give what she wants until she tries to say it..at least tries..say "no, use your words..what is that?". Good Luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaddiesMommy464
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:54 PM

thanks guys!!!

Mia1983
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:02 PM

It's common.  If you are very concerned, talk to your ped about it.  But I also recommend talking to her a lot more and putting a name to everything.  Read to her everyday, also.

BananaNut
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM

One thing that will help, get that paci out of her mouth.  At least during the day.  I don't think at 18 mos it' a terribly big deal.  My son was talking at 9 mos like a champ but my daughter really only said a few words here and there until about 2.  She's 2 1/2 now and still doesn't talk as much as he did at 1!

Encourage her talking.  Ask questions (what would you like to eat?  Are you thirsty?  Do you want to wear this shirt?) And wait for her to answer.  When you give her her sippy cup (or whatever) emphasize her drink "Here is your milk. Milk."  That way she starts to get familiar with the everyday words and hopefully will start trying to say them with you.

bamababe1975
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:21 AM

good advice

Quoting BananaNut:

One thing that will help, get that paci out of her mouth.  At least during the day.  I don't think at 18 mos it' a terribly big deal.  My son was talking at 9 mos like a champ but my daughter really only said a few words here and there until about 2.  She's 2 1/2 now and still doesn't talk as much as he did at 1!

Encourage her talking.  Ask questions (what would you like to eat?  Are you thirsty?  Do you want to wear this shirt?) And wait for her to answer.  When you give her her sippy cup (or whatever) emphasize her drink "Here is your milk. Milk."  That way she starts to get familiar with the everyday words and hopefully will start trying to say them with you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)