Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crap...Need Help, please.

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

Thanks in advance for advice or replies.

So I have been living with my parents since my "ex" husband and I split. Legally we're still married, but we have been separated for over a year. He has never helped with the son we have together (I have a son from a previous relationship as well). Anyway, my parents were helping me while I try to get myself up and on my feet. I've been working since September so I haven't needed them financially as long as I live with them. I just wouldn't be able to support myself and the kids if I move.

Last month my Dad got demoted. Could still keep the house, but things are tight. Everybody's helping everybody out. Today my Dad hurt himself at work, but not a work related injury. Plus his blood pressure was BAD. He has a bunch of Dr.'s appointments tomorrow and may have to go on disability.

Which MEANS: either way I have to move either squish the 6 of us living here into a small house or get my own place.

Getting my own place would mean I would have to ask for government assistance. I know to go to the welfare office and all that, but as for money I have NO idea what to ask them for.

I live in California...and it doesn't seem to be that hard to get on it, everyone who comes through my work seems to have EBT.

I just don't know how much money to ask them for or how it works really.
Any advice would be great.

Sorry that was kinda' long.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:26 PM

This may not be the popular choice, but I would suggest staying with your parents.  The reason I say this is that they are going to be going through some hard times, they were there for you when you needed it and now that they will be going through the hard times why not stay, help yourself and them at the same time.  Why both "families" struggle when together you can make it work a bit better.

elizabeth.mary
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I love them and will help them like they have done for me.
It's just the 6 people in a 2 bedroom house part that gets me.

KRIZZ25
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:38 PM

thy go by ur income..it,s a lot of paper work.a lot to do..not that easy to get help.u have to be dirt poor.

serenityspeaks
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I think they give you what you qualify for. I really dont make alot and I dont qualify for anything but WIC but honestly its a pain so other suggest I try to get FS and I say its not even worth it. I am managing...I have 3 kids and we live in a 2br and I cant imagine anymore and my place is ok sized. ALSO what about CS from the dads?

elizabeth.mary
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:52 PM

I don't mind living in a 2 BR with just me and the kids, but not my parents and little brother as well.

Their Dad's don't do shit.

Quoting serenityspeaks:

I think they give you what you qualify for. I really dont make alot and I dont qualify for anything but WIC but honestly its a pain so other suggest I try to get FS and I say its not even worth it. I am managing...I have 3 kids and we live in a 2br and I cant imagine anymore and my place is ok sized. ALSO what about CS from the dads?

serenityspeaks
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:54 PM

No we really need a 3BR but for now it works and I am happy to afford my own place with my kids. Someone suggested I room mate when we were breaking up and I was like oh no! I plan to buy a townhome 3br when this lease is up just needed time to be able to do that. But I cant live with others with my kids they have schedules and routines and just like to keep it that way!

Quoting elizabeth.mary:

I don't mind living in a 2 BR with just me and the kids, but not my parents and little brother as well.

Their Dad's don't do shit.

Quoting serenityspeaks:

serenityspeaks
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:55 PM

oh cant you apply for CS...i dont get help right now either but manage to get everything but I will aplly for CS soon.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Go apply for child support for your children.  Their dad's may not want to do anything, but what they are legally obligated to do and what they want to do are two different matters.

Kissybratzmom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:40 PM

You don't get to ask for a certain amount of money. They go by your income and that's how they figure how much they give you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)