Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do i do or say to make this right to her?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:46 AM
  • 8 Replies
My daughter says to me tonight that she is sad that me and her dad do not live together. That she just wants us all together. I know that me and her dad could never work and that we have already moved on but how would I ever let her know that? She is 6.she seems sad about this and torn between two. I feel like I have messed up a little piece of her.. Would a counselor be over reacting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sillybear.n.cub
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:30 AM
No you're not over reacting. Some children have a hard time with when their parents break up. Taking her to counselor sounds like a good ideas. Hope everything works out well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carolina_gal
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Quoting sillybear.n.cub:

No you're not over reacting. Some children have a hard time with when their parents break up. Taking her to counselor sounds like a good ideas. Hope everything works out well.

muwchck
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Not at all.  We are starting some family therapy with my 5 year old.  His father and I split almost 2 years ago now, and I've been with my hubby for just over a year too, but he still seams to be having some issues with the whole situation.  Sometimes kids need someone besides us to help them work through their feelings.

HP3HP3
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Not overreacting- it might help- being honest helps to and have other male positive role models in her life's helps also. I go through this once a year since my daughter figured out she did have a dad in the picture and the sad thing is it would even matter except school push the two parent issue. She is now 13 and when some ask about her dad she strings them along on a you ask me a question let me ask you a question thing. She comes home with the funniest stories about noisy peoples reactions. It is hard at age 6., but truth always helped us when she was growing up. I didn't give her all the details until she turned 13 when she understood more.  Good luck! It is a long process full of heart ache for your child, but it isn't all that bad now.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:12 PM
Just tell her that mommy and daddy both love her, but are happier living apart and didn't get along when living together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM
You are not over reacting, kids have a hard time sorting their emotions, so a counselor may help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Agree with all pps.

ChWuGu
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 6:06 PM

My parents divorced when I was a baby.  My Dad put us in counseling I guess when I was about 10 and it really helped us.  She even managed to get us kids brave enough to speak up to our parents about things we could do to make this divorce easier for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)